Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

FBIRD69's 1969 Firebird

2024 March
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

Rear shocks for x-body?

Hey guys, I just took out the old rear shocks from the Phoenix. The old ones were those adjustable pneumatic ones that have dry rotted bladders/diaphragms. I'm just looking to get something basic and reliable. Nothing fancy, just for basic grandma driving. I don't know if I should do adjustable again or go with something else? 

I was looking at something like this

but I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask what y'all think.

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

What sort of ride are you looking for Havoc?

Personally, I'm looking for a nice comfortable ride. I did not have very good luck with adjustable QA1 shocks with Lucy. I have no idea why it turned out so poorly but I hated the ride. I've ended up with a comfortable gas shock from ACDelco in front, and load master coil over gas shock in back. The reason for the coil over gas shocks is when I either do parade duty with the family or load up the car to go to a car show, the coil overs handle to extra load of tent, tools, people in the back seat, etc.

For you, you might want to go with some nice gas shocks from KYB, Monroe, ACDelco, or Gabriel. Just my two cents anyway.

• Like 1

Just a comfortable ride. I really don't plan on having anyone in the back and my trunk is empty. 

This looks like a decent pair, looks identical to the ones I pulled out of there. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/ado-504-527/year/1978/make/pontiac/model/phoenix

Just gotta make sure the mounts are the same. Eyelet on the bottom and bar up top.

Thanks for the 2 cents Frosty, can you tell I barely know what the f*ck im doing? 😂

That’s cool. ACDelcos should do the trick. They will work as well as my old Gabriel Airjackers back in the late 70s. The only thing is pay attention to the rubber boots, depending on conditions, they can dry rot faster than you think (3-4 years).

No sweat, I’ve spent a lot of time and money on,parts that don’t fit, don’t work, or I don’t like. You need to be happy with your purchases.

Edited by Frosty
  • Like 1