Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

Will it take nitrous?

Hey guys new to Pontiac I have a 70 gto and a 72 gto I got a motor built for my 70 and it’s not powerful enough for me it’s a 455 10.5:1:1 compression icon forged pistons has eagle rods, wenzler aluminum heads, comp cams extreme cam Hydraulic Flat Tappet - Lift 0.488 / 0.491 in - Duration 274 / 286 - 110, crower enduro stainless roller rockers.COMP Cams Dual Valve Springs O.D.: 1.430 in. Edlebrock torker2 intake manifold port matched to a reworked 950cfm Holley carb. Hooker headers. I’ll try to but build sheet below a few parts a missing that I pre purchased before build. The reason I had to build it was because there was a knock that was supposed to be because the rockers the previous owner bought were hitting the valve cover and needed high rise valve coveres. Turns out Somone dropped a washer in the intake and ended up in a cylinder. there was also 4K in machine shop work so in total $10800 and I don’t wanna blow it up but made under 500hp and made good torque off the converter but around 480 not off converter

Thankyou for any advice

C03E871B-E56C-44D0-9C39-5FE2904C6170.jpeg

463C54B1-FCB3-43E9-AA92-0D9BE474E272.jpeg

AF3D9DEC-A828-4829-B198-BAFED8AB4404.jpeg

Edited by Robby

• 2 weeks later...

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

The correct question is how much nitrous will it take before you blow it up. I ran a 400, stock bottom end and hot cam with a 200 kit with no problems. BUT, I didn't run it often, I made sure I had an adequate fuel supply. And made sure it had a rev limiter on the engine. With forged pistons you are in good shape as long as you set it up correctly. Nitrous does not allow for ANY mistakes. Fuel pump fails mid run, engine melts, fuel solenoid sticks or gets disconnected, engine melts. No second chances. Also the amount of fuel required to properly feed a 200hp kit is huge. Nitrous runs very rich to cool the engine, thus needs a lot of fuel in a hurry. It took a seperate 1/2 fuel line and electric pump to feed only my nitrous  kit! Good luck!!