Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Keane165's 1970 LeMans

2022 June
of the Month

• Welcome!

Welcome to Forever Pontiac, where we keep the memory of Pontiac alive with great discussion, maintenance tips, restoration/modification progression "blogs" and help from professional & DIY mechanics. Also, wonderful competitions that occur regularly. Please register for an absolutely free account to join in!

cylinder head date/identify codes (possibly mismatched heads)

Ok I need some help with some heads I just pulled from my custom S. I thought they were the same but after looking at them and seeing the date codes and stamps... i am thinking they are very different. 

Drivers side: Stamp - 16, Date - 8288

Passenger side: Stamp - 15, Date - A168

I looked up the codes and came up with this: 

Year - Application - Casting - Valves - CC/CR - Notes

Drivers side: 68/69 - 400std/HO - 16 - 2.11/1.77 - 72 - Screw in studs, Dual valve springs, D port

Passenger side: 68 - 400 2bbl/4bbl - 15 - 1.96/1.66 - 75 - Pressed in studs, D port, B & G body

So either I am looking up these heads incorrectly... or I have very different valve  sizes .... would really love it if someone could help me clear this up. Cause Im thinking I need to get a matching head so that I have the same on both sides. 

driver.jpg

passenger.jpg

• 69customS changed the title to cylinder head date/identify codes (possibly mismatched heads)

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

17 hours ago, 69customS said:

Ok I need some help with some heads I just pulled from my custom S. I thought they were the same but after looking at them and seeing the date codes and stamps... i am thinking they are very different. 

Drivers side: Stamp - 16, Date - 8288

Passenger side: Stamp - 15, Date - A168

I looked up the codes and came up with this: 

Year - Application - Casting - Valves - CC/CR - Notes

Drivers side: 68/69 - 400std/HO - 16 - 2.11/1.77 - 72 - Screw in studs, Dual valve springs, D port

Passenger side: 68 - 400 2bbl/4bbl - 15 - 1.96/1.66 - 75 - Pressed in studs, D port, B & G body

So either I am looking up these heads incorrectly... or I have very different valve  sizes .... would really love it if someone could help me clear this up. Cause Im thinking I need to get a matching head so that I have the same on both sides. 

I agree with your analysis. The Stamp 8288 on the #16 head is probably B288 - which translates into Feb 28, 1968 cast date. The A168 is January 16, 1968. I think it highly unlike that your car was built this way. I suspect one of the heads was replaced at some point in time after it was built. Clearly the driver's side is the more desirable head. You can talk to a machine job about opening the passenger side up to the match the driver's side.

• Like 1

https://frankspontiacparts.com/ FOR THE WIN!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks to Frank I now have matching heads. He had 1... and only 1 single #16 bare head already cleaned. 1 valve guide to replace... but for $250 I scored. Not to mention...ive never seen a dismantling yard that was so clean and organized. If you need any parts... call him. He has a bunch of stuff on his website but not everything. Now I gotta find a local head shop to do the finish work.