Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

FBIRD69's 1969 Firebird

2024 March
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

My sunfire's performance overview.

Current mods:

Aluminum SRI, painted black with a K&N (pic not current)

HPIM0386.jpg

B&M short throw, APC carbonFAKER shift knob, cleaned all the CF paint off with a wire wheel (pic not current)

HPIM0449.jpg

Soon to come:

MIMO adjustable springs, sitting in my closet right now

Custom made front and rear strut bars, sitting in my dorm just need to finish cutting and welding

Custom rear tie bar, finished designing it, have to find time to make it.

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That intake looks so random in there! lol

Thats why its now painted black, fits in better. Plus that was the day i put it in, everything's basically the same color now, dirty :lol2:.

Damn bro. Time for a 3400 swap. And you can keep your transmission. Then you will hear the intake actually do something lol.

I remember someone built their 2200. Pretty impressive on paper. Forged pistons, cam, LSX drivetrain, tune, blah blah. Dyno numbers were not even at 200hp. Its a bummer. Although I like how the 2200 sounds more than the LD9 or Ecotec.

You need to get rid of that 2200sfi box and get a 90degree bend pipe too.

' date='Jan 22 2010, 12:47 PM' post='4702']

Interesting little Sunfire. I'd do an L61 swap (2.2L Ecotec) much broader aftermarket, and more potential. Build the internals, and they love boost!

Meh, he would have to get the transmission as well. 3400 you dont. :lol2:

Most j guys refer to the old 2.2 as the LN2 and the 2200 as just that, because they have different intake manifolds.

But yeah the only other serious mods i have planned are some exhaust work, slightly larger plenium, and a shaved/polished head, and a 50 shot for when i wanna play on the strip. I'm building this car mainly for autoX so i wanna keep the 2200 in there its wicked light. Makes getting close to a 50/50 weight distribution easier to achieve. Thanks though guys.

Most j guys refer to the old 2.2 as the LN2 and the 2200 as just that, because they have different intake manifolds.

But yeah the only other serious mods i have planned are some exhaust work, slightly larger plenium, and a shaved/polished head, and a 50 shot for when i wanna play on the strip. I'm building this car mainly for autoX so i wanna keep the 2200 in there its wicked light. Makes getting close to a 50/50 weight distribution easier to achieve. Thanks though guys.

Yeah........ its wicked light. Although its a cast iron block and the Ecotec is all aluminum lol.

Just make sure you keep that cooling system in super shape. Thats the first to take a dump and cause blown heads.

Yeah........ its wicked light. Although its a cast iron block and the Ecotec is all aluminum lol.

Just make sure you keep that cooling system in super shape. Thats the first to take a dump and cause blown heads.

:lol2:

there's nothing wrong with the 2200 except it's underpowered. the older LN2 had better power :S

port and polish, up compression a bit, +1 valves, and a cam = win

ecotec swap isn't worth the work IMO. i guess it's not as bad in a 98+ but in anythign older(i.e. no BCM), unless you wanna use something like a megasquirt to control the engine, it's WAY too much work

ecotec swap isn't worth the work IMO. i guess it's not as bad in a 98+ but in anythign older(i.e. no BCM), unless you wanna use something like a megasquirt to control the engine, it's WAY too much work

I agree. Its anything 99 and older where it becomes a pain. He has a 2000+ so the swap would actually be quite easy.

There is nothing wrong with building the LN2 or 2200. But when you look at the money you would be putting into those motors, compared to what you could easily swap in there, its not even a comparison. To me at least.

Well it must be the tranny thats heavier then, because springs for the eco's are longer in the front than the ones for the 2200

there's nothing wrong with the 2200 except it's underpowered. the older LN2 had better power :S

port and polish, up compression a bit, +1 valves, and a cam = win

Definitely not gonna do a swap, if i was planning on building a 250+hp monster then maybe, but my thing is autoX i think Drag racing is boring. With a shaved head, more aggressive cam, bigger tb. This engine can put out like 150 hp which is plenty for class2, with the suspension i'm workin on for it.

That intake looks almost as big as that engine too :lol2:

How much HP does that wing add on your FWD car? :P

It actually adds.... NONE!!! :lol2: Nope, it does rob my performance, but adds to my handling, as where I'm stationed at, the winds are extremely horrible and dangerous, so the added downforce on my car allows the car to handle better in windy conditions :woot:

if you wanted to boost and stay in the autox area, go with a t25 turbo or a tdo5h turbo. those spool up quick but only allow about 15psi max and are perfect for helping you get out of the turns. unless you wanted to go with a 16g tdo5h but that would be your preference.

Well it must be the tranny thats heavier then, because springs for the eco's are longer in the front than the ones for the 2200

Where did you get that information? It cant be the trans. Its the same trans on the 00-02 models as it is for the ecotec models.

From what I remember its not that the front springs are longer, its that the ecotec front ends sit higher since there is less weight/load due to the ecotecs all aluminum motor.

• 3 weeks later...