Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

FBIRD69's 1969 Firebird

2024 March
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

Painted my calipers today. :-)

I was kinda bored this morining and have been itching to da a mod. So I have been wanting to paint my calipers for the longest time. I was like F it. Got my sh@t together this morning and went to the store. I picked up the Dupli-Color brake caliper paint kit for $19.11 with tax not a bad price for what you get. Paint, brush, caliper cleaner but to be honest if it was $40.00 I still would of done it/ Thats just how bad I wanted to do a mod today lol. I went to work since it was my day off and knew I could use one of the bays. I figured it would be easier it put the car on the lift so I could get all 4 tires off and do it inside. All the techs at Saturn are some of the best guys I have ever had the pleasure to deal with. They put the car on the lift for me and took off my wheels and all gave me advice then put the wheels back on for me when I was done. They all kept coming over to check on me and to tell me I was ding a good job. One of the guys helped me get started and helped me clean off all the calipers. BIG love cor the Saturn of Norwood crew!!!! I had to do for coats of paint which took me a good 4 hours+ but I took my time. I made sure to paint (probably more than I needed) everything I could. Im realy happy with how it came out. The first two coats came out realy blotchy but the 3rd coat started to cover much better. The 4th coat was just pretty much just touch up and smothing things out. I had a couple of spots that just dident want to take the paint. But I figured out if you go back to those spots before the paint dries in between coats and just dab paint when its still goowie it will take it. Just a good FYI. I would say its an easy mod to do with a huge payoff. OK enouff BLA BLA BLA lol

the kit

418hbQi-5TL._SL500_.jpg

(not too bad for a camera phone)

SSPX2118.jpg

SSPX2120.jpg

SSPX2121.jpg

SSPX2123.jpg

SSPX2119.jpg

SSPX2128.jpg

SSPX2122.jpg

SSPX2133.jpg

SSPX2134.jpg

SSPX2135.jpg

SSPX2137.jpg

SSPX2136.jpg

SSPX2139.jpg

SSPX2140.jpg

all the pics

http://s919.photobucket.com/albums/ad31/je...aliper%20paint/

PS thanks Mark and Chaos for the answer on the drying time. the kit makes it sound like forever before you can drive the car or even put the tires back on. lol The kit says 15min in between coats 2 hours before putting the tires back on and 24 hours before you can drive the car. lol

Makes the car look so new and super clean again! I love how it reflects off the chrome rims.

The brake calipers look brand new now!!!

:rolleyes:

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

my buddy drove his right after and used the piss out of the brakes to heat them up and bake it on. seemed to work fine. he used the spray blue tho.

BTW your front driver tire looks low

I think the tire is fine but ill check it at work 2morrow. I think its just how the tires sit on this car.

Thanks! :rolleyes:

After doing it I cant understaind why I dident do this sooner.

• Founders

BTW your front driver tire looks low

Its just how it sits, everyone says that to me. For the first couple months of my car I would check it everytime it looked like that and it was fine. Doesn't hurt to check though Joe but I'm 98% sure its just how it sits :)

Looks great though Joe!!!!! I've been wanting to do this for a while, wish I had the lift at my work like you do, probably would of gotten it done a long time ago :rolleyes: The red looks tight on your car!!

Yea the lift did make it a ton easier. The reason I know the tire is ok, is what you and I said and I rotated the tires today as well. the back tire looks fine now, looked low when it was the front but thanks for the concern.

great job Joe! I really like the way you didn't paint anything else but the calipers! great job!

Deja Vu :lol2:

thanks again. :cheers:

umm...doesnt this belong in your progression? jus saying. :cheers: jk. looks great. but RED??? then again, it stands out more. great job.

Nawwww the "Modification Talk > Exterior > "section needs some love and I like my progression to be nice and clean. But I did add it to the list of mods in my progression thread.

Yellow was a no F'ing way yuck!

Black whats the point lol.

couldent find blue.

reds a classic color.

gold is not my style.

white would be clean for one day if that.

silver you would never know I painted them.

so I did red, I like how it came out. :lol2:

thanks Ghost :cheers:

Looks good Joe!

This is why I perfer the brush on paint. Much easier to avoid overspray, and get into the nooks and crannies of the caliper and it's brackets.

I need to redo mine, I used the same exact paint kit, and it's starting to show it's age (2 years) debating on what color to try.

But the calipers are so small on the G6. Mine stockers are much meatier looking. :cheers: man, I can't wait to do my F-body dual piston caliper swap.

BTW, is their an upgrade for the G6 calipers? Like to a dual piston? Or a four piston set, like a Brembo setup? Just curious.

BTW, is their an upgrade for the G6 calipers? Like to a dual piston? Or a four piston set, like a Brembo setup? Just curious.

lol... upgrade for the g6. :cheers:

Other than the Cobalt SS Brembo brakes, no. And from what I recall, it's not a direct bolt-on, requires wheel spacers. Not to mention it's, like, $900-1000 for everything new, if you can't find them on a part-out or jy.

Calipers look good, Jedi!

lol... upgrade for the g6. :cheers:

Other than the Cobalt SS Brembo brakes, no. And from what I recall, it's not a direct bolt-on, requires wheel spacers. Not to mention it's, like, $900-1000 for everything new, if you can't find them on a part-out or jy.

That sucks.

I know the spindle with N-bodies can take F-body, GTO and GP GXP front calipers. Even the dual piston Baer calipers too. I just have to use Impala rotors.

Maybe you guys should use N-body spindles. :lol2:

I think the best thing to do is see what the Opel people have done for mods. Since its based on there car & platform.

GM Epsilon platform

Regular

2002 Opel Vectra

2003 Saab 9-3

2004 Chevrolet Malibu

2006 Cadillac BLS

Extended

2003 Opel Signum

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx

2005 Pontiac G6

2005 Fiat Croma

2007 Saturn Aura

2008 Chevrolet Malibu

thanks

I can use the shop when ever I want I just never have the money for the mod that require the shop. lol

but I use the wash bay once a week. :cheers: does that count? It does in my book. lol

I thought the 04-06 Malibus shared the Epsilon chassis with the G6.

There might be a site dedicated to all cars of that platform, I know a lot GM sites like that.

N-body.net

F-body.net

Etc, etc.

I think the best thing to do is see what the Opel people have done for mods. Since its based on there car & platform.

GM Epsilon platform

Regular

2002 Opel Vectra

2003 Saab 9-3

2004 Chevrolet Malibu

2006 Cadillac BLS

Extended

2003 Opel Signum

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx

2005 Pontiac G6

2005 Fiat Croma

2007 Saturn Aura

2008 Chevrolet Malibu

The Extended platform one/Maxx does aswell as the new Malibu.

The other Malibu was on the Regular version. (unshortened)

nope

Wheelbase

106.3 in (2700 mm) (sedan)

112.3 in (2852 mm) (wagon)

:lol2:

and :cheers: I love the new Malibus.