Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

J J Web's 1967 Lemans

2024 May
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

Auto News

Any news for other car manufacturers

11,168 topics in this forum

• 0 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 0 replies

• Tell a friend

Love Forever Pontiac Forums? Tell a friend!
    • At the very least after removing the oil pan...You have to remove the rear Main bearing cap in order to access the rear main oil seal...The 2 piece oil seal can be replaced with the engine/transmission still in the car...But you have to be able to lift the engine  enough to be able get the oil pan to clear the crossmember so it will come completely off...To have enough clearance in order to remove the rear Main Bearing cap...Once the cap is out of the way...Then you should be able push/pull the top half of the seal out from over the top of the crankshaft...Then simply slide the new seal into place over the top of the Crank and replace the bottom half in the bearing cap...Pay special attention because the top and bottom half of the seal is different...Use the proper RTV on the surfaces of the ends of the seal where they meet...Don't go crazy with the RTV or it will cause more of a problem than it will solve...Then put everything back together in the reverse order of the way it came apart...Be Sure to use a torque wrench when reinstalling the main bearing cap...I'm not 100%  sure without looking it up....What the main bearing cap torque spec is I think it's somewhere around 40 to 50 ft.lbs... Double that check that... The one piece seal is realistically something that should pobably be done When the engine is completely torn down during a rebuild....Hope this helps... TLBT...
    • Fitzy and Kiwi can relate. They live in Australia and New Zealand, respectively. They can tell you horror stories about shipping costs from the states to their counties. We can sympathize with you though.
    • Thank you everyone! There are so many other beautiful cars here on this forum, I really cant decide which looks best. Indeed, restoration will be a challenge as everything is much more expensive here in switzerland along with shipping parts etc
    • Here are the photos I took several years ago at the Ken Lingenfelter collection of his Tojan.
    • I've heard that installing the one piece is a two-man job but it seals really well. Someone has to hold up the 80 lb crankshaft while the other person is getting the seal on over the crank and aligning it as it goes into the block. I have the two piece seal in my 455. It doesn't leak and one person can install it. If you are looking for something closer to OEM/OER, the rope seal is fine and it's better than a stock rope seal but remember that it is still a rope seal and it may leak over time.
  • Images

Tired of these Ads? Purchase Enhanced Membership today to remove them!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.