Jump to content
Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

JAH11's 1968 GTO

2024 June
of the Month

  • Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

    Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

    Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

    Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

    Sign up now! 🏁

Howdy from Pontiac enthusiast down under.


Recommended Posts

Hi there folks, just wanted to say hi and introduce myself. I come from Auckland, New Zealand and are the proud owner of a 1957 Pontiac Star Chief, which I imported from the US in 2012. It is a great condition vehicle, although the paintwork does need some work. It has been repowered by a 5.3 LS engine, mated to an electronic 4L60E transmission, which makes it a great cruiser, although some other Pontiac owners have been know to turn up their nose at this "other make" engine. But what the heck, I like it and that's all that counts.

It has a front clip from a  '78 Malibu, which gives it front mounted power steering, disc brakes, and anti-roll bar, and runs on an 18" front/20" rear Coys wheel combo.

It certainly turns heads when driving, and it's great turning up at shows and being the only '57 Star Chief in attendance amongst hoards of '57 Chevy Hardtops.

 

 

 

Americarna 2014-2 (Small).jpg

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

  • 5 years later...

hi Russel, i see you have changed your wheels ! since your 2016 post, :cheers: nice shot of the 57 in the naki 👍

 

You should share your story with the good folk here about your 57 :cheers:

Edited by 64 kiwi boni
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, 64 kiwi boni said:

hi Russel, i see you have changed your wheels ! since your 2016 post, :cheers: nice shot of the 57 in the naki 👍

 

 

I decided a couple of years ago that the blingly chrome wheels it came with from the States didn't fit the look I wanted, which was a "Classic" theme. I replaced them with an 18" aluminium Rallye wheel clone with hubcaps, which to my eye suit the style of car better. 2 years ago I stripped the whole car down to have the few rust spots sorted, and got the car repainted. I also had the front bumper's 9 pieces rechromed (very expensive), replaced all the side glass, and took all the dents out/repolished the stainless trim myself.

Happy with the car now, but always looking to upgrade stuff (as you do) to keep myself busy.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Fitzy said:

Another Kiwi with a great car? You guys earn too much over there!

Gees fitzy I think Russel is a mechanic !

he knows what he is doing ! Unlike this plumber guy ! 😜

2 hours ago, KiwiStarChief said:

I decided a couple of years ago that the blingly chrome wheels it came with from the States didn't fit the look I wanted, which was a "Classic" theme. I replaced them with an 18" aluminium Rallye wheel clone with hubcaps, which to my eye suit the style of car better. 2 years ago I stripped the whole car down to have the few rust spots sorted, and got the car repainted. I also had the front bumper's 9 pieces rechromed (very expensive), replaced all the side glass, and took all the dents out/repolished the stainless trim myself.

Happy with the car now, but always looking to upgrade stuff (as you do) to keep myself busy.

Yip certainly agree with you on the wheels 👍👍👍👍👍

rallye wheels win every time for classic look 👍👍👍👍

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

A mechanic? On this forum? We don't need no smartarse mechanic telling us how to do things properly. We are more than capable of blundering through without any qualified tradesmen offering helpful advice & tips. 

Forgive my caustic humour, Russell. Welcome aboard.

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Fitzy said:

A mechanic? On this forum? We don't need no smartarse mechanic telling us how to do things properly. We are more than capable of blundering through without any qualified tradesmen offering helpful advice & tips. 

Forgive my caustic humour, Russell. Welcome aboard.

 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Tired of these Ads? Purchase Enhanced Membership today to remove them!
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.