Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

Hey all, new to the site...

Hey everybody! Just found this site through a CarDomain page. Very happy to have you.

I just picked up my 3rd Pontiac last night. Its a 2003 Montana. I've had a 95 GA and a 1999 Montana before. Got it for a work vehicle but i'm just unable to leave things stock. :( Cant't go too crazy with mods, but it can look stylin' and sound good.

Looking forward to seein' the rides you guys have!

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

' date='Mar 13 2010, 12:56 AM' post='16881']

Woot, another Montana owner. Welcome to the site! I know a lot about those LA1 motors, if you need any maintainence or mod advice. :o

Thanks for the welcome everyone.

I need both maintainence AND mod advice. :) This is my 3rd LA1 motor, and the first one thats going to get worked on. All I did with my Alero was window tints and a stereo. The last Montana was my wifes, and I think we changed the oil. This one is in great shape, and I'm in it all day for work so I'd like to do a few things to it. Tints and stereo for sure, but I'm also needing/wanting to makes sure the van is maintained properly and it top shape.

As for pics, when it stops raining and I can get a few shots, they'll be posted.

Thanks for the welcome everyone.

I need both maintainence AND mod advice. :) This is my 3rd LA1 motor, and the first one thats going to get worked on. All I did with my Alero was window tints and a stereo. The last Montana was my wifes, and I think we changed the oil. This one is in great shape, and I'm in it all day for work so I'd like to do a few things to it. Tints and stereo for sure, but I'm also needing/wanting to makes sure the van is maintained properly and it top shape.

As for pics, when it stops raining and I can get a few shots, they'll be posted.

Alright. As with all LA1 motors, and all other older GM 60*V6's in fact, is the leaky LIM gasket. Luckily, the LA1 isn't known for head gaskets, no worries about that.

Also, you can use oversized oil filters on them, the normal AC Delco # is PF 47, but PF 52 also works, and you get .5 more oil in the crankcase. I do this with my own GA, so it'll hold 5 quarts, and last just a bit longer on intervals. I use synthetic, so I push it between 8-9K.

As for mods, the website www.wot-tech.com is your best friend. I recommend doing the LX9 top swap. Combine that with headers, exhaust, intake and a tune, you'll easily see a bump of 45-50 HP over stock, add a cam? 65-70 HP to the combo. And if that's never enough, boost it. Don't do a blower, go with a snail. You'll get more power from it that way. Also, upgrade the injectors, the 26lb ones from Trailblazers work great. And obviously, it'll need to be tuned again to run properly. If you go the snail route, it would be foolish NOT to have an intercooler.

Now, the transmission... I don't remember which one comes in the GM minivans, but if the swap can be done, drop in a built 4T65-HD trans with that setup.

Wow!!! You guys are AWESOME!!!! I'm a memeber of a few forums where getting any info is like pulling freakin' teeth!!!!

I must say that I never thought I'd be so happy to be in mini-van...but I'm sitting here looking at my 2005 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer V8, and I'm looking forward to the day someone buys it and drives it away.

Lifted 2", 32" BFG AT/KO's, Magnaflow exhaust, K&N intake and SCT SF3 tuner. Fun, beautiful truck, but doesn't compare to the Montana for mileage or space......and a lot of 2v Stang parts are not compatible with it.

Sounds like I have crazy options with my 3.4....having said all that I'm thinking about just doing a few cosmetic upgrades to the 'Tana and getting a GAGT for a toy. We'll see how things go. :dancingpontiac:

I don't like Exploders, that gen really wasn't engineered too well. I see them have the oddest of problems. And eat through hub assemblies like crazy.

And yeah, lots to do with the LA1 motor.

Also, for more hardcore performance info, check out 60degreev6.com. I'm a member on there as well.