Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

Hello! I am new here (duh). I was at work last night looking through a freinds issue of some car customization magazine and was thinking "Some of the things I see here would look badass on my Torrent". When I got home I googled some images and lo and behold some of the things I was thinking of doing there were pictures of already done. (I was right it does look badass). Wherever I looked online I kept running across references to this website so I thought "what the hell?" and went ahead and joined. When I get some time off I will post a picture of my Torrent AWD (Black) and let you all give feedback on what should be done to it.

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

Hi all..

new here..

just bought my 8th Pontiac..

current tin indian - 1999 Grand Am GT Coupe (Named her Ruby!)

Have had Grand Prix's, Firebirds, A Fiero, two other Grand Am's.

Welcome! Please, create your own thread :)

ChaosweaveR- the first thing I am going to is some paint work: the wheels will be painted to body match the black paint except for the bead which will get some red. The foglight buckets I will change to black with red around the outer rims. The body badges will get the red treatment as well. The chrome outline around the grille I will also change to red. I am not sure if I am going to remove the luggage rack yet or not. After that is done I am going to throw some new seat covers on (black with red inserts) then think about what to do with the interior door handles. I am going to lower the body about 2 inches in the rear and and inch in front. It already has the factory 17 inch rims on it so after lowering the body they should be about as big as I need. Performance mods are undecided right now and I welcome any suggestions there. To everyone else- thanks for the warm welcome and you guys have some beautiful cars for sure!

My two cents:

Debadge the badges. It's gives an overall cleaner look. Making them colored just screams gaudy and tacky. Red outlines around the grilles? I'd stay away. Can't go wrong blacking out the chrome on an all black car.

Leaving the stock wheels? They're going to look stupid once you go low, even just plus sizing to 18"s will make a huge difference. Besides, stock GM wheels are heavy pieces of junk anyway. Throw me the stock tire size and I'll get some wheel and tire options for you. Wheels can make of break a car, and stockers on a lowered car is a waste of money.

As for performance, the normal Torrent has the cousin of the LA1, the LNJ. There's no "pre-built" CAIs to get, but building your own is easy with all the do it yourself intake kits out there. (Spectre for example) as for the exhaust, the best setup you can use is the same I recommend for the 5th gen GAGTs since the Torrent/Equinox is setup very similar:

Stick with the 2.25" pipe already on the car, replace the heavy restrictive resonator with a high flow resonator or glasspack (18" long to 21" long are your best bets) and use a Flowmaster 80 muffler out back. It's actually an F-body muffler (for 3rd and 4th gen Firebirds and Camaros) that will work perfectly with the exhaust setup these cars have. Smallest they make is 2.5" inlet and outlet size, but that's okay. Choose a set of nice polished rolled tips, and be mindful, you'll need to cut out an outlet on the opposite side of the stock outlet since you'll be getting dual exhaust outlets.

The badges are double sided tape. Easily removed with goo-gone and some fishing line. After, some polishing compound can remove the excess residue left by the badge.

For wheels, you have a lot of options. 18"s would look too small with such a big tire...19"s and 20"s would look superb if you lower it.

245/50 R19 and 245/45 R20 would work nicely.

I will keep the badges however after some thought I think I will take the offered advice and NOT paint them red. I will shoot some candy black on them to give them a "smoked out" look. The same with the chrome trim around the grille.

I like the clean look of having no badges thats for sure but yeah its funny as hell having people try and guess what you drive most of the time. Everyone thought my C class was a E class for some reason when I took the badges off. When I had the mpd hood on everyone either thought it was a GTO or had absoustly no idea. Haven't gotten any random comments about my g6 in a long time though besides wow you keep that thing nice from a person at the car wash.

Thanks mark and coupe.... yeah I got the "keep it clean" bug from my wife; that's her (get this) 1998 Mazda MPV behind mine with (drum roll) 446,700 miles on it! Damn thing won't die. She keeps it spotless 'cause I think it was the first new car she ever owned when I bought it for her. She keeps after me to wash mine weekly and if I don't she bugs me until I do or hides my beer. By the way.. anyone get a line on some springs that are about 2" lower than stock for this vehicle that would be awesome. I can't seem to find anything online and I don't have a place locally that can bend a set up for me. Still on the hunt for the "right" wheels for it and have been photoshopping paint schemes and can't really decide. If anyone has seen some really cool Torrents somewhere the link would be greatly appreciated.

Honestly, I looked on google a bit and didn't see lowering springs for the Torrent/Equinox. You may have to be daring and use springs from another car. It's not impossible, but you'll need access to a warehouse with lowering springs in stock (Like Eibachs for example) and make measurements compared to the stock ones and find the right spring rates.