Jump to content
Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

JAH11's 1968 GTO

2024 June
of the Month

  • Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

    Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

    Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

    Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

    Sign up now! 🏁

Recommended Posts

Hi everyone, It looks like mt '69 GTO is due for some new shoes. It has the stock 14" wheels, and I want to keep it that way.

Anyone have any recommendations on tires. 

Style: IE: thin whites, redlines, raised white letters, plain black.

Brand of tires: (I would prefer ones that are "Made In The U.S.A".)........I have Cooper Cobras'  on my '69 Nova SS and are very happy with them.

Let me know what all of ya think. 

Thanks.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

I've got the raised white letter Cooper Cobras on my El Camino and love them.  I like the stock look of tires and would refer you to any 1969 model year GTO pictures you can find from the Pontiac company to see how they styled the car back then.  The red lined tires might not be a bad idea.

Rick

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Federated52 said:

Hi everyone, It looks like mt '69 GTO is due for some new shoes. It has the stock 14" wheels, and I want to keep it that way.

Anyone have any recommendations on tires. 

Style: IE: thin whites, redlines, raised white letters, plain black.

Brand of tires: (I would prefer ones that are "Made In The U.S.A".)........I have Cooper Cobras'  on my '69 Nova SS and are very happy with them.

Let me know what all of ya think. 

Thanks.

First off this is a tuff call for anyone & I’m not being a smart ass here, but understand that those Coopers, good or bad are not made in the USA! They are made in Mexico!
To determine what your style driving is let alone your preferences are for looks & feel is a tall order. 
So I would say this! Don’t buy anything made in Asia, if you care about your life #1. After that you’re fairly safe! 
Next, Tire Rack’s site is still pretty good to navigate & get what information you need, I.E. diameter, width, tread, country of origin etc. Michelin’s, by the way is one manufacturer that makes a lot of their tires in the US. Yet they will actually make certain sizes of the same exact tire line in different country’s. 
Finally, along with tread width & side wall height having a large impact on ride comfort & handling; so does the tire compound! In fact tire compound can make or break a tires performance! My two cents.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thank you for all the info.

I know that it comes down to what I like, but I was just throwing it out there to see what others prefer. You can always learn something from everybody.

I will look into the Michelin tires & tirerack.com

Thanks again.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

And never forget to ask about the date code that is baked into the sidewall of the tire.  Don't buy tires that are more than maybe 18 months old if you want the longest in use life possible.

Rick

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Federated52 said:

Thank you for all the info.

I know that it comes down to what I like, but I was just throwing it out there to see what others prefer. You can always learn something from everybody.

I will look into the Michelin tires & tirerack.com

Thanks again.

Todd, I wasn’t saying to buy Michelin’s. Actually you can’t they don’t make anything in 14”. I was just letting you know it will be near impossible to get tires that you want & have them made here in the USA. Sorry just true. I was just cautioning you to not get ones made anywhere in Asia! I’m not a fan of MX, but the control by US companies whose products are made there is much more in their control. That is not the case in Asia! I know this first hand.

So if you like the Coopers go for it. Oh! I personally like raised white’s or just plain black walls. The wider the better! :driving:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yes, you are right. I  can't seem to find any 14" tires Made in the USA.

I'll have to check into the Cobras a little more.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/24/2024 at 9:59 PM, Federated52 said:

Hi everyone, It looks like mt '69 GTO is due for some new shoes. It has the stock 14" wheels, and I want to keep it that way.

Anyone have any recommendations on tires. 

Style: IE: thin whites, redlines, raised white letters, plain black.

Brand of tires: (I would prefer ones that are "Made In The U.S.A".)........I have Cooper Cobras'  on my '69 Nova SS and are very happy with them.

Let me know what all of ya think. 

Thanks.

I prefer raised white letters on my ride. I've had stock GR70-14s running B F Goodrich TA Radials on Lucy. I recently purchased some 15 inch Wheel Vintique (Coker) 15x7 (front) and 15x8 (rear) chrome Rally II reproductions running B F Goodrich T A Radials 255-60-15s all the way around to fill up the wheel wells.

Old 70-14s

image.png.83e8ba0b495f30a2e5f406af97ded8c3.png

 

New 255-60-15s

image.thumb.png.30667cd3ccca7354850127f32a7b6545.png

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/27/2024 at 12:19 AM, Frosty said:

I prefer raised white letters on my ride. I've had stock GR70-14s running B F Goodrich TA Radials on Lucy. I recently purchased some 15 inch Wheel Vintique (Coker) 15x7 (front) and 15x8 (rear) chrome Rally II reproductions running B F Goodrich T A Radials 255-60-15s all the way around to fill up the wheel wells.

Old 70-14s

image.png.83e8ba0b495f30a2e5f406af97ded8c3.png

 

New 255-60-15s

image.thumb.png.30667cd3ccca7354850127f32a7b6545.png

 

On 5/27/2024 at 8:24 AM, Federated52 said:

Thanks @Frosty those 15" wheels do fill up the wheel wells nicely. 

Actually JustA one more of the nice things about the old ones! You can change wheel size & increase tire diameter so you still have that nice sidewall cushion! And all you have to do is change the speedo gear in the tranny, which is pretty easy. The new ones; not so much!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Thank You to everyone that responded so far. I am still searching, but the only tires i have found that are "Made In The U.S.A." are surprisingly HanKook Kinergy, but they are just plain black walls which I would like to have raised whites.........the search goes on.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Tired of these Ads? Purchase Enhanced Membership today to remove them!
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.