Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

J J Web's 1967 Lemans

2024 May
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

HEY I AM NEW HERE AND NEED HELP WITH MY 99 BONNEVILLE SE!

I WAS AN IDIOT AND DECIDED TO SHIFT INTO SECOND GEAR IN AN AUTOMATIC WHILE GOING! THE CAR STARTED TO DRAG AND THE CHECK ENGINE LIGHT CAME ON AND I STARTED HEARING RATTLING IN THE ENGINE! THIS WAS JUNE SINCE THEN,  IT CRANKS BUT DOESNT TURN OVER! IV'E REPLACED THE BATTERY AND IT HELPED A BIT SINCE MY LAST WAS DEAD BUT THE ENGINE KEEPS EDGING ITSELF! A FRIEND SAYS THAT IT COULD BE A PUSH ROD AND ANOTHER SAYS MY TRANS COULD BE LOCKED! IF ANYONE CAN HELP I WILL APPRECIATE IT ALOT!

• Confused 1

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

Were you able to drive the car home? If you can hear the starter (wirrrr) but car is not turning over.  Starter Gear may not be engauging.  Agree with Wrongway, we need a whole lot more info to help.

• Like 1

No there was no leaks no i couldnt drive it home and the car isn't starting at the moment so i can show the rattling sound! I think its a push rod 

19 hours ago, Annihila said:

I apologize! I should have asked, do you know what code it has set? Before you do any of the things I mentioned. If you don’t know you need to get someone who has a scan tool & find out. That will be the starting point. There has to be a code set since you said the engine light came on. This is the first task that needs done.

• Like 1

i didnt peep the rpm when i did it but it fell on its face yes! 119k miles on the car and yes it has the original cat

2 hours ago, JUSTA6 said:

From your dash picture, you need to tap the pin back in that holds your shift lever on, before it falls off.

?

On 9/20/2023 at 5:02 PM, Last Indian said:

You have not resolved the issue I presume?! So many things can cause a p0300 code which is indicating multiple cylinders are misfiring. One of those causes can be a bad cat! You say it started to drag, so if the abrupt downshift caused enough increase in pressure to a already aged & compromised cat it could have caused the cat to crack! If that happened it usually blocks a large portion of the passages. This blocks air movement out of the engine, which will not allow it to start. Also a cracked/broken cat will rattle. So try dropping the cat at the back exhaust manifold. See if the engine fires. If it does the cat is probably the main problem. DO NOT run the engine for any length of time with the cat off. It is very likely the engine will not even want to stay running due to the lack of any back pressure, 3800 are fussy about back pressure due to the fire cycle.

Let us knows what happens.

ok will do thanks i'll let yall know what happened

• Like 1

On 9/20/2023 at 2:39 PM, Annihila said:

?

Stop your vid at :24,   the pin sticking up from the lever on the right side of your steering wheel needs to be gently tapped back in.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JUSTA6 said:

Stop your vid at :24,   the pin sticking up from the lever on the right side of your steering wheel needs to be gently tapped back in.

yea i saw it back then

• Like 1