Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

Hello 64 Star Chief

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

Hey welcome bro, is she stock or has anything been done to her? What's your plans with her? Got any other pics? We love Pontiac pics around here! :dancingpontiac:

• Like 1

welcome jeremy...we know zip about 1964 wide body pontiacs at all !!:dancingpontiac:..... hahaha

have a read , we certainly can help if you have questions.... but we love pictures... want to show us the engine and interior ? 

and the back story to your super cool car :cheers:

• Like 1

Good morning, 

Here's some more pictures for you. I'll get some of the engine when I get a chance. Short back story is I'd been trying to get this car for two years, and finally did :)

20230527_184826.jpg

20230527_184831.jpg

20230527_184838.jpg

20230527_184845.jpg

20230527_184917.jpg

20230527_184925.jpg

20230527_184936.jpg

20230527_185100.jpg

20230527_184719.jpg

20230527_184627.jpg

• Like 1

Man that's awesome Jeremy! Justa a piece of friendly advice from somebody who's trying to restore the same steering wheel as you have. Be careful bro of how much pressure your steering wheel lock puts on that clear part of the steering wheel. At the age of our cars those tend to be pretty fragile and their fairly hard to come by to replace. There's a fella up around NY that supposedly has the original equipment to rebuild them, he quoted me $1500. Thats crazy. Kiwi and Fitzy can add to that as they have both replaced or repaired their steering wheels. Again, awesome score bro!

• Like 2

Well I only mentioned it because yours looks so good compared to mine and it's hard to find them now. Mine had about 3/4 of the clear on it when I got the car. Most of it was cracked up and after about 2 weeks of rubbing against it and bumping against it coming in and out of the car while working on it this is what she looked like. BUT,,, I do still have a pretty horn button! :rofl:

Dash before 7.JPG

Dash before 11.JPG

• Sad 1

Jeremy, i can understand why you have been after this car for 2 years!! its very clean!!! a great buy:dancingpontiac:

i see what Wrongway sees, that clear is old and you are going to have to repair or replace it at some stage.

todate Wrongway has done the best restoration of his wheel:bowdown:, Fitzy choose to use a aftermarket unit which looks very cool.

i chose to redo mine in solid black, and even after all my hard work sanding, i see some fine lines in the paint.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Good evening everyone, 

Hope everyone is doing well, sorry for the long time between posts. Life's crazy right now. Got a picture and a question for you. Is this a factory original filter?  I've never seen one like it. 

20230602_203600.jpg

20230602_203554.jpg

• Like 2

On 5/28/2023 at 11:26 AM, Wrongway said:

Man that's awesome Jeremy! Justa a piece of friendly advice from somebody who's trying to restore the same steering wheel as you have. Be careful bro of how much pressure your steering wheel lock puts on that clear part of the steering wheel. At the age of our cars those tend to be pretty fragile and their fairly hard to come by to replace. There's a fella up around NY that supposedly has the original equipment to rebuild them, he quoted me $1500. Thats crazy. Kiwi and Fitzy can add to that as they have both replaced or repaired their steering wheels. Again, awesome score bro!

As for the steering wheel, it's not as bad as I thought. There are some chucks missing, but most of it is still there. My thoughts were either to make some silicone molds and wood frames to fill the missing pieces, or take a cast of the pieces that are solid and then create the whole section of the wheel from several pieces to pour it from uv resistant acrylic or resin... what do you think? The other option is a nice looking walnut aftermarket steering wheel and maybe add some steel rivets for accents. 

Edited by logicerror
  • Like 1

The problem I had with making a mold was that my steering wheel was already so far gone by the time I decided to rebuild it. I tried a few different ways with no success because the bar (frame) that runs thru the clear is so much smaller than the acrylic. If you're considering rebuilding yours then my best advice would be to make a mold now while the thickness of your clear is the correct size. I even tried using a 64' impala steering wheel to make the mold. That worked out well, but our Pontiac wheel didn't fit. I didn't realize our steering wheel isn't round like all the other steering wheels I had seen. Our steering wheels are more oval, at first, I justa thought maybe it was bent. Apon researching it I found that Pontiac built them oval intentionally so larger people could slide in and out easier, giving these steering wheels the nickname "fat boy" steering wheels. You can look on my thread and see some pics of mine, I justa added more acrylic yesterday and I'll post some more pics this week if I can. If you do decide to redo yours Jeremy, please keep us posted and post pics, I'd love to see your progress bro.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Wrongway said:

Our steering wheels are more oval

so true wrongway, when i started rebuilding mine, i thought it had been bent when the jaws of life had been used on it... you could see the cut mark ! from when it had crashed i guess. certainly oval 

6 hours ago, logicerror said:

I've Love rock auto for years. Working on a nice magnet collection.

same here!!! i have a collection on my beer fridge :cheers:

hate when i get double ups, or they dont put a magnet in the box !!😡

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

What's up everyone 

Hope everyone is doing well. I'll get some pictures out in a little bit. Got new tires, replaced the weather stripping for the trunk. New spark plugs and wires. Gonna change the oil this weekend. 

My next chore is the weather striping for the doors and windows, but the descriptions at rockauto are a little vague. 

Under

Door Seal / Weatherstrip

There are ones that say left or right hardtop, some that say sedan, and others that say with frame. I'm thinking frame means metal all around the glass, like if you put the window down there still a frame. Am I correct? If I put my front and back windows down, there's no frame. But there is chrome trim around the top and sides  of the glass. 16869647685002914126346585587390.thumb.jpg.1c074bed8962bc1a1d53013dcfdbb3e5.jpg

Anyone replaced this stuff before. Door trim looks screwed to the door, and I don't know where the clips are or should be. 

The pictures look so bad with the flash

Thanks for any help

Jeremy

16869648851104764594767741767458.jpg

16869649799316720556105808316132.jpg

16869650369648148304957119117372.jpg

16869650622864418413396588928937.jpg

16869651447176996401440882037257.jpg

• Like 2

• 1 month later...