Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

FBIRD69's 1969 Firebird

2024 March
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

First time Pontiac

Hello all, new to the Forum and a first Time Pontiac owner! 1963 Lemans convertible, 3 speed on the floor, 326. Not the prettiest girl at the Dance but she gets plenty of attention...

Have restored plenty of first gen Camaros but this is my first Pontiac. Must say I love the 326, and the car is a blast to drive, even without p/s or p/b,,,a real muscle car!

Was looking to get some help with a leaking rear transaxle, seems to be mostly from the rope shifter into the trans. I fill her up and leaks down pretty good, about 2-3 ounces after a run around the block. Prior owner said he fills it up, lets it leak down then it is good? am I over filling it? seems like the fluid should be staying in. Figure there is a seal/gasket wore out? picked up a shift shaft seal at Napa would that do the trick? not any decent trans shops in my area non the less that can work on some classic Delorian engineering

Any thoughts would be great, hate to tear up the trans...

• Like 1

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

Good luck with your project, welcome to the group.   I'm sure someone here can point you in the right direction. Keep us up with pic's of the project.

:welcomeFP:

Andy I suspect I know the answer. Is your Lemans an automatic or a manual? I'm guessing an automatic but I want to verify it first.

BTW - I come to Hilton Head twice a year. What part of the island are you on? We usually stay at Palmetto Dunes. I'd love to see your ride if we ever get off quarentine.

Hi Frosty, sorry for the slow response I am a local Chef on the Island specializing in Take out food, busy Times!

Thanks for the reply, the car is a 3 speed manual on the floor and as fun as you could imagine to drive...

Any advise on my leaking would be much appricated!

I Live on Port Royal Plantation, and would Love to show you the car

Well, if things ease up, I will be back on island at the end of July, God willing. I'd love to see the car.

I know you said you have a manual but this fix article is for an automatic but it still may have some merit since you said it's leaking at the rope shaft.

http://www.secondchancegarage.com/public4/atf-leak.cfm

https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2010/12/curbside-classic-19

63-tempest-lemans-pontiac-tries-to-build-a-bmw-before-bmw-built-theirs-and-almost-succeeds/

You can try putting in transmission stop leak but that doesn't permanent fix things. You clearly have a broken seal somewhere. If these don't help, I can private message you with some technical folks who might be able to help.

Andy,

Not that that this isn't a great group always willing to help, however you may want to reach out to the guys in the 61-63 Tech section over on PY.                                                                   Those guys were very instrumental with me getting this old '63 together.  

https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=427

Cheers. 

IMG_2114.JPG

Yup, I was also thinking of some the technical folks from either the POCI technical panel or Little Indians chapter.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Andy B - Just to let you know, I've made it to HIlton Head this week. If you are available some evening, I'd love to catch up with you for a few minutes. I'm staying in Palmetto Dunes again. So maybe we meet up at the Kroger parking lot or gas station. I will be here all week until Saturday morning (10/10/20).

• Like 2