Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

FBIRD69's 1969 Firebird

2024 March
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

First interior mods.. nothing much but they were a b!itch to install

Finally got around to messing with the Torrent. First two things: make it more trip friendly! I take 2 long trips a year with my wife and 10 year old daughter so the first 2 things were a DVD/TV system and a GPS that didn't involve me hanging some box off the dash somewhere.

post-1665-0-89146800-1383659237_thumb.jp

post-1665-0-40891400-1383659268_thumb.jp

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

What exactly did you go with?

Hard to tell from just my phone. Also: did the rearview mirror come with the system? Never seen a GPS screen integrated with one. I know there's backup camera screens for them, never seen a GPS with one.

The stereo is this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/High-Def-7-In-Dash-2-Din-Car-Stereo-DVD-Player-GPS-Navigation-3D-Bluetooth-CAM-/310416933533?pt=US_Video_In_Dash_Units_w_GPS&hash=item48464a829d and the mirror is this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-3-Inch-Bluetooth-Rearview-Mirror-GPS-Navigator-4GB-with-Wireless-Rear-Camera-/110849686153?pt=US_Rear_View_Monitors_Cams_Kits&hash=item19cf27fa89. The mirror is easy to install; the stereo was not so easy because I had to interface it with the CANBUS that the body control computer runs off of to keep the functionality of the original factory stereo. The only thing I couldn't keep was the sound that the blinkers make which used to be made by a flasher unit but now seem to be artificially made by the cars sound system just because I guess GM thought we still needed to hear it.

That's odd. Never realized companies were utilizing the stereo to make the signal sound now.

Well, at least it wasn't the crappy design my 03 Grand Am GT had. The connectors would get dirty and it would have random clicking shit fits THAT DROVE ME UP A WALL.

Well worth the money, Wick. There are a couple of things a buyer would need to be aware of however. 1) The head unit is metric, not quite double DIN so it will not perfectly fit an installation kit without modifying your kit and/or your dash for a decent install. 2) You had better know your cars electrical system pretty well especially if you have steering wheel controls. While this unit does support steering wheel controls it is up to you to figure out how to integrate them into the new head unit. The instructions on this were not clear or apparent. If you use Apple mobile devices, be prepared for occasional (very occasional) problems connecting Bluetooth. The rear view mirror has never successfully connected via Bluetooth to my ios device but has with my wifes android. The ipod control however does work well. 3) you will need to have on hand a variety of antenna adapters to go from your car to this head unit. It is not standard. I found a kit at wally world that had the stuff I needed to make an adapter. Another note on the antenna. If your car has a factory powered antenna (the preamp is built into it; check your service manual) DO NOT forget to supply SW12VDC from the head unit to the antenna or you won't pick up any but the strongest local stations. 4) The cooling fan MAY be too noisy for you under certain circumstances depending on your application. I can barely hear mine and am not that picky, but for some that might bother them. On the whole however it is a good unit for the money. Lots of features and everything does work as advertised. It has been in there now for a year and worked in all temperature conditions without a hitch. Sound quality is good even though the lineratiy of the volume control is a bit strange for me; at around 5 or so the volume goes up at a faster rate than it does from 0-5.

cool. the only thing i dont really like (on any brand DD) are the obvious buttons. one reason i went with the JVC. and i customized my dash kit so that wouldnt have been a problem.