Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

Alright, the Generals currently on the ROHs are coming close to the end of their usefulness. There's about 4/32nds of tread left, so they'll see another 8000 miles at least.

Now, what tires will I go with now?

I loved the General Exclaim UHP, but I do like trying others. I'm already fond of Khumo, since the Solus Xpert KH20's I have on my steelies are stellar tires. Here's what I've been looking at:

General Exclaim UHP: 380 Treadwear; AA traction; W speed rating

Khumo Ecsta ASX: 420 Treadwear; AA traction; W speed rating

Falken Ziex 512: 360 Treadwear; AA traction; W speed rating

Goodyear Eagle GT: (1) 440 Treadwear; A traction; V speed rating

(2) 400 Treadwear; AA traction; W speed rating

Cooper Zeon Sport A/S: 400 Treadwear; AA traction; W speed rating

BFGoodrich GForce T/A: 340 Treadwear; AA traction; W speed rating

Tire size: 235/45 R17. The General Exclaim UHP has a 93W load/speed rating.

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

I have the BF Goodrich GForce super sports. they seem to be a good Ultra High Performance All-Season minded tire for our climate.

mtahz3.ang.jpg

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?ti...per+Sport+A%2FS

Keep in mind, these wheels don't see snow. Dry and wet traction is what I'm after, and all seasons aren't what I'm looking for. The G-Force T/As are cheaper than the G-Force Super Sport A/S to boot, and they don't have the speed rating I want either.

your car isent fast enouff for that speed rating! :pop_corn: and mine are rated for something like 170mph which Ill never be able to do either. :lol2:

your car isent fast enouff for that speed rating! :pop_corn: and mine are rated for something like 170mph which Ill never be able to do either. :lol2:

Haha, nope. But it's the sidewall rigidity I'm after. Stiffer sidewall, less flex = more grip.

I have Falken Ziex 912. I got them two years ago and they're still going strong. I've maybe driven 20k miles in that time, only in warm month driving. I really like them but I've also not had a different tire on these wheels so I might be a little biased. :pop_corn:

I have Falken Ziex 912. I got them two years ago and they're still going strong. I've maybe driven 20k miles in that time, only in warm month driving. I really like them but I've also not had a different tire on these wheels so I might be a little biased. :lol2:

The Ziex 912's are decent tires, but I'm not too crazy about the compound. We sell a lot of them at the shop I work at, and the rubber compound feels more hard than the 512's. Also, the feedback about the wet handling capabilities of them is not too good. People buy them because of the constant "Buy 3 get the 4th free" deal on them. :pop_corn:

I had Potenza G019 Grids and they were teh boobies. Gripped like a hooker grabbin her monies. My buddy says they are one of the stiffest tires he has ever installed working at belle Tire for god knows how may years.

I had Potenza G019 Grids and they were teh boobies. Gripped like a hooker grabbin her monies.

OMFG, that is the funniest thing I have ever read. :D

• 1 month later...

UHP's are a bang for the buck when it comes to dry traction and price. The sidewall, however, is not very stiff.

There are Car and Driver videos reviewing lots of tires on Youtube if that helps you.

UHP's are a bang for the buck when it comes to dry traction and price. The sidewall, however, is not very stiff.

There are Car and Driver videos reviewing lots of tires on Youtube if that helps you.

The General's softer sidewall works for me in two ways: I do LOTS of long distance driving, so the comfort I get from them I'd pretty damn good for a W speed rated tire. Second, the sidewall is easier for mounting the tires. My wheels have been repainted, so a tire machine could easily mar the lip of my wheels if the tire guy (or myself) has to really fight the wheels on.