Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

J J Web's 1967 Lemans

2024 May
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

Hello,

I am searching for the vacuum line diagram for a 1962 Bonneville 389 4bbl.

Thanks in advance

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

Uh...I don't think such a thing exists. Your 62 should be pretty simple. PCV to manifold, carb to trans & dizzy vacuum can to manifold or carb. What's the issue?

• Like 1

Thank you! I will give it a shot. Why are these lines blocked off?

carb1.jpg

carb3.jpg

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

I think the big vacuum hose is for your pcv next to the dizzy  , 3 goes to 6 on my motor, but check that the same rear vacuum port is feeding vacuum to your dizzy and transmission too 👍

Edited by 64 kiwi boni

Thanks for youuur reply. The two lines  coming out of the arb are blocked off. I'm trying to figure ou why.

carb 4.jpg

carb1.jpg

i recon that number one is the pcv valve hose, there is a pvc down the back of the intake vally by the dizzy. the small pipe off that rear tee is the line to that number 2 port, which isnt needed, but i see no vacuum line to your dizzy or going off down the back of the motor to the trans mission ! is your trans auto ? 

that top picture you can certainly see the vacuum line to the brake booster going over the rocker cover :dancingpontiac:

That little steel canister on the end of the carby is the dashpot - I got rid of mine. You WILL need vacuum advance from the dizzy and the trans vacuum line too. You will also need to hook up the PCV to the plate that sits under the carb - where the outlets are pointing toward the front.

• Like 1

If you want to see how vacuum hoses and electrical wires are routed, I would suggest investing in a reproduction shop manual for your car. While there are not many hoses in a '62 Bonneville, as compared to a 2004 Bonneville, it is still worth the investment to have all the exploded views for your entire car.

Detroit Iron sells both electronic and paper copies of the factory manuals.

https://www.detroitironis.com/1962-pontiac-chassis-shop-manual-print.html

• Haha 1

Does/Did the car have Air Conditioning...??

If so the vacuum brake/plunger (#2/#6) is used to automatically adjust the idle speed to compensate for the extra drag on the engine when the AC compressor was turned on..The hex on the carburetor end is for the proper sized wrench to adjust the vacuum brake/diaphram in or out (lengthen/shorten)..In order to Adjust the idle speed to the correct RPMs when the AC compressor is running...I'm unsure of where the vacuum source to operate the brake originates from...Although I Suspect that there is an electrical/Vacuum control switch under the dash/on or near the heater box related to the vacuum  supply that controls the doors in the heating/AC system to direct the airflow to the proper vents/outlets...If you don't have or not going to use the AC you can just eliminate it....

TLBT...

Edited by TWO LANE BLACK TOP
  • Like 2

On 5/13/2024 at 11:13 AM, Jimvlv said:

I have the shop manual. Nowhere does it gointo vacuum hoses

True - however, if you pay attention to the exploded pictures, you will see the engine, transmission, or under dash showing attached vacuum hoses in those diagrams. I've never seen a formal vacuum diagram - for any car.

• Like 1