Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

J J Web's 1967 Lemans

2024 May
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

1963 Pontiac Grand Prix... Radio Wiring

Go to solution Solved by Wrongway,

Hello everyone, I am trying to connect my new speakers to the radio but all the cables were cut by the previous owner.... 

Does anyone have or know what cable colors connect to what? I also have an external FM adapter the dash radio is AM only.

2023-10-0116_40_15.thumb.jpg.de7111eb512f1d7d0a71169d35d8a96c.jpg2023-10-0116_40_12.thumb.jpg.3753e1367daf0252842562bb6e24a748.jpg2023-10-0116_40_05.thumb.jpg.ee7a2ec241b6bb7f9581adaa46e88f27.jpg

Also do you guys know what this is? it was in the wiring harness for the center console.. 

2024-04-04 18.02.35.jpg

2024-04-04 18.02.43.jpg

• Like 1

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

The 2 silver "pill" looking things do go to the console. 1st one comes up from underneath and goes into a hole justa under the strike plate for the lock if I remember right, it give light to the inside of the console. The 2nd should run under console on right side and go to the rear courtesy light at the back of the console. Give me a min to go out to garage and see if I can find the schematics, there in color but old and warn bro.

• Like 1

Thanks Wrongway I really appreciate it, trying to put the console back in the car tomorrow but I need to fix the radio first.

• Like 1

Thank you wrongway! You are the best!!!

Thank you for the heads up B52bombardier1,

Is there anything I can do to use current speakers on that radio,  adding an amplifier or a converter?

• Like 1

Are the original high impedance speakers in the car still operational?  The people at Crutchfield can help you with your impedance mismatch but you might need to buy all new high impedance speakers.

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-iPWbpWifxCk/

Rick

• Like 1

The back speaker was missing they had 2 x 6x9 on the package tray that were disconnected the front speaker was still on the dash but completely disintegrated 

I will most likely install a headless unit instead 😞

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Sorry got one more question about the radio... I bought the correct speakers front and back..... the plug on the radio only has the brown wire positive (thanks Wrongway)  and a green wire for the speaker. There is an empty slot for a third wire not sure if it is missing another wire there... how do I connect the 2 speakers I thought it should be connected in series? Is one side connected to ground on the dash?

• Like 1

Hey bud, I'm pretty sure that when I pulled mine to rewire my car that it also only had to 2 wires. But my harness was chopped by the previous owners. If this rain slows down, I'll run out and take a look. 

• Like 1

Ok bro, this is how mine was hooked up. But remember it may not be correct due to previous owners messing with it. It only has the power wire and 1 speaker wire. One of the other guys may be able to give you a bit more info on this.

Once mine is on the road and all the bugs worked out, I had plans of building a standalone system in the trunk because I love the way the original dash looks. Bluetooth head unit and amp mounted to a box sitting behind the backseat in the trunk. Then run the speakers up to the dash, back seat and possibly behind the kick panels. Would also be room for speakers or subs in the trunk front or back of the wheel wells. All tucked behind carpeted panels. But that's a long way down the road for me.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Wrongway said:

Ok bro, this is how mine was hooked up. But remember it may not be correct due to previous owners messing with it. It only has the power wire and 1 speaker wire. One of the other guys may be able to give you a bit more info on this.

Once mine is on the road and all the bugs worked out, I had plans of building a standalone system in the trunk because I love the way the original dash looks. Bluetooth head unit and amp mounted to a box sitting behind the backseat in the trunk. Then run the speakers up to the dash, back seat and possibly behind the kick panels. Would also be room for speakers or subs in the trunk front or back of the wheel wells. All tucked behind carpeted panels. But that's a long way down the road for me.

Thanks Wrongway... 

I also want to keep the original radio / speakers just to keep the nostalgia factor going 🙂 But I want it to work as well...  

I am installing these on my car now

https://www.ebay.com/itm/262954513045

these speakers go under the front seats

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CHM9HXWM/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_2?smid=A27P8QVSUXTH0W&psc=1

this head unit will go on the center console storage ( I may be printing a 3d enclosure to make it look better in the compartment)

• Like 1

That head unit is small, should fit great in the console bro. But you have got to let me know how those speakers are! I thought about under the seat speakers before but didn't figure they would fit.