Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

J J Web's 1967 Lemans

2024 May
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

Transmission Serial Number

Hi Everyone,

My "72 GTO has the original TH400.  the tag on the side of the trans reads, "72-PG     5272".

Can anyone tell me what the 5272 stands for?  From what I've found, it could be a serial number.

Thanks in Advance!

• Like 1

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

It is the serial number of the transmission. It is not tied directly to your VIN number. If you have PHS documentation it may identify the transmission serial number that came with the car.

So are you back in town for awhile? Last we knew you were working out of Springhill TN and you were not going to be home much. You going to be around for Woodward?

• Like 1

Hi Frosty,

Yup, I'm back at Pontiac Plant 14 for awhile.  We're getting the goat ready for a road trip to the GTOAA convention next week so I was decoding the engine and transmission's casting numbers.  I was hoping the serial number could be decoded into a manufacture date or something.  We plan on being at Woodward at least a couple of times, life and weather permitting.

Reach out to Dan Kane regarding Woodward. The club is planning on being at the M1 Concourse again this year for both Friday and Saturday.

• 2 weeks later...

We got accepted at the Woodward Dream Show this year. We'll be there.  Sorry for the delayed response.  We were at the GTOAA convention last week.   

• Like 1

That's cool.

So can we expect to see you on Saturday at Baker's in Milford?

Can we expect you to give us a complete report out of the GTOAA convention?

• 4 weeks later...

Well, the drive along Route 66 went very well.  The visit to the Route 66 Museum was interesting.  The GTOAA convention was going fine until a major storm took out power to the hotel and cancelled the rest of the convention so we drove home a few days early.  In the end we drove the goat 1000 miles with no issues and got an award in the Concours Unrestored Class.

I heard that the GTOAA convention met with storm problems. I heard that there was wind and hail damage too. So if you got out unscathed - good for you!

When are you starting the picture thread for the convention???? LOL!

They called it a "Delrecho" storm.  It didn't last long, but did some serious damage in the area.  At the hotel a few GTOs got damaged, and there were some minor personal injuries.

The top section of the utility poles were snapped off leaving utility lines on the ground, trucks and trailers. When you left you had no choice but to drive over downed electrical lines to get out of the hotel parking lot.

Our car was inside.  Originally we were to be outside but I got a call from GTOAA. They had extra spots in the building and asked if I wanted one, so I accepted.  

• Like 1

Sadly I didn't get any photos at the convention.  We arrived on Tuesday and had to check in, get through Tech Inspection, get the car in its spot and walked to the nearby bars.  Wednesday I spent the day cleaning every inch of the car for judging.  Thursday we had to sit by the car waiting the judges, then the storm hit, and the judges didn't get to us until after 6:00pm.  Friday we left for home. I'll post some photos we took on the way to the convention.

• Thanks 1