Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

J J Web's 1967 Lemans

2024 May
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

Need advice on my set up.

I just recently bought a 1974 ventura. Factory 350 car. I was told by the last owner the car had a bad rebuild from the owner before him. I took the top end of the engine apart to check everything. I actually found at some time in the past, someone put a 4 barrel carb on it. Also the heads are 094 1966 326 heads on a 1973 350 engine.  And the pistons are flattop pistons but they have some kind of dimple in the center of the pistons. My main question is, can these heads be a competitive set up? I do plan on drag racing the car. And I do want to use the 350 I have. But would I be better off finding the 71 350 heads? Any advice is greatly appreciated.  Use the 326 heads or change them?

20230222_150108.jpg

20230221_160512.jpg

20230222_122559.jpg

20230222_145546.jpg

20230222_145254.jpg

Edited by 74ventura383
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 2

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

MY gawd.... NOWHERE does it say on the tube that you must use the Permatex all at one time.  :slap:  Water jacket holes, pushrod tubes completely filled.....IT's even oozed into the cylinder. If that car was running, it would have burned that off.  The pic of the head.... how do you get it to squirt out of the freeze plug? :willy_nilly:   You had better plan on pulling the block outta there.  Who knows what your gonna find in the lower end.  Your pan N pickup are probably plugged with Permatex that made it to the oil pan.  Would contact Butler for rebuilding advise for racing.

https://butlerperformance.com/p-34888-pontiac-engine-torque-specs.html

Please keep the pic's coming on your progress.   Looks like your brake line is busted and I have no idea what tube is pinched off over the motor mount.

The level of abuse here would make Chief Pontiac cry!!!!

image.png.a98a9d50b23375c755b4343b97f29b4f.png

Edited by JUSTA6
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

welcome !!:dancingpontiac:

i am with the guys here, that motor needs some love !! :cheers:

JustA is sooo right pull it 

do a full rebuild, you wont regreat it !! 

AND you have to ask yourself whats my budget ! we all can drag race our toys... the question is ... what level do you want to play at !

My thought has always been if i can get a nice streetable 350 hp out of a 350 ... thats plenty !! and fun too ! without being over the top and requiring a stronger trans, a stronger diff, bigger brakes, etc etc :stars:

justA my :my2cents:

• Like 2

7 hours ago, TWO LANE BLACK TOP said:

The biggest disadvantage of trying to make good power with a 350 Pontiac engine... Is the small bore size... The Small bores tend to shroud the flame and not allow the flame to swirl/spread in the combustion chambers as efficiently/completely...As it does in an engine with a larger bore and a shorter stroke...

Pontiac 350 engine = 3 7/8 inch bore...With a 3 3/4 inch stroke for a total of 354 (353.8) CID... The Small bore with the Long Stroke also limits the amount of RPMs that you can turn before the Piston Speed becomes an issue...Basically the 350 CID Pontiac is designed to make  good Low end Torque...Not high RPM horsepower...

For comparison a 350 CID Chevrolet engine has a 4.00 inch Bore with a 3.48 Stroke...(big bore..Short stroke)

350 CID Pontiac engine has a 3.875 inch bore with a 3.750  inch Stroke...(small bore..long stroke)

Even if you bore the Pontiac engine 0.60 over the bore will still be less than 4.00 inches...With the Long stroke...The Piston Speed Becomes a reliability issue...As the Piston itself has to travel significantly faster/further...Up and Down...Inside the bore at any given RPM Compared to an engine with a shorter stroke....At the same RPMs...

:bowdown:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1