Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

1981 firebird engine swap fitment problems with a he headers

I have a 81 firebird formula that was an old drag car with lots of upgrades but I won’t go into that right now. It had a 454 in it before I bought it but they took it out so I have another 454 in since it was already set up for it but my problem is the headers I have bind and won’t let motor go in unless I take them off. Does anyone know what headers I need to use? 

• Like 2

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

I would think that any header for a BBC for a 2nd-gen Camaro or 68-72 Chevelle would fit your application. Also you can clearance your headers somewhat. I say that assuming that the motor mounts for the BBC were put in the correct place to begin with.

• Like 2

Jordon, i would look for a set of shorty headers, and you certainly cant fit the 454 with them on, you will need to drop the motor in then install your hearders .

i went through 3 sets of long headers on my 72 camaro and was having ground clearance issues ( to the point my mates where calling me sparky, as i was always bottoming them out!! )

now i have the shortys on, i have no issues with fitment and ground clearance and i am running 2 1/2 inch x pipe system off them  ! 👍

• Like 2

I don’t know if it’s true but I heard shortys don’t make as much power and air flow as long tube.but if that’s the only ones that fit I got to do it lol 

• Like 1

An episode of Engine Masters on Motortrend benchmarks stock exhaust manifolds between midlength and long tube headers. It is episode #15 of Engine Masters. You might be able to find it on YouTube.

• Like 1