Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

FBIRD69's 1969 Firebird

2024 March
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

I have a 1980 grand prix and it has silver gauge cluster, and silver ashtray lid, and silver shift plate trim on the center console, and the silver on the console parts are faded..it looks like the silver pattern is going from side to side..how do fix the faded silver on them parts ? I can't figure out how pontiac did that back in the 1980s .it looks like a Brite silver. Any help would be greatly appreciated..

• Like 1

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

Those type of parts are vacuum deposition plated! Redoing them would not be easy or cheap, if you could even find it. Best bet is either what JustA said or find a good 3M dealer who knows their stuff. 3M sells all kinds of pinstripe (contact) tape & they sell it in all kinds of colors including chrome, silver & many variation of those. They come in all kinds of widths! Anywhere from a 1/32 wide to 2 feet, depending on the color. If you know how to use an exacto knife, you should be good to go.

The case of LAST resort would be to try to repaint these parts with some sort of "chrome" paint. This will require careful sanding and taping the plastic to gain mechanical adhesion but not aggressive enough to put deep scratches into the plastic. My personal experience with chrome paints show they aren't particularly durable to parts that involve commonly touched parts. So I'd be wary of long term durability for your console parts.

I support JUSTA and Last Indian recommendations. Find either new or good used parts would be my first choice. 3M tape second, and paint dead last.

• Like 1