Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

Build Sheet 1966 Pontiac

Well while watching YouTube to figure out stuff someone said the build sheet for a Pontiac Catalina should be under the rear seat. Is it?

On the Corvette it is on the top of gas tank.

God bless!

Ted Feight

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

Ted - assuming the build sheet has survived the ravages of time, weather, kids, rodents, etc. Yes two possible build sheet locations exist. Behind the rear seat and the top of the gas tank. I think it is highly unlikely the gas tank one survived all this time. If you can't find your build sheet, however, you can order a copy of it. Pontiac is the only division to keep it's records intact. 

You can go to Pontiac Historical Services with your credit card and the vehicle's VIN #. You will get a complete package of information on how your car left the factory, including the build sheet and reproduction MRSP sticker.

http://www.phs-online.com/

Didn't you just move from St. John's up north towards Rainbow Lake?

Frosty,

Thank you for getting back to me.

We had moved from Lansing to Rainbow Lake (Perrinton) in September 2020. We have been working like dogs trying to get settled and have some fun too.

I just ordered the Pontiac Packet and Window Sticker. I hope I did it right? It was an interesting order system.

Last year I did the interior on the 67 Corvette, this year I have the interior completely out of the 66 Catalina. Next winter I hope to pull the engine and do the engine compartment. 

Stop up if you are coming this way.  I believe you have my phone number.

God bless!

Ted

Ted - I believe I still have your number. With COVID, I've been pretty home bound. I have not done much traveling. Although today I just comitted to a buddy from Virginia that he and I are going to do the Hot Rod Power Tour together in June.

• 2 weeks later...

Frosty,

I hope your Covid is getting better and gone! I now have Covid, but I think it is getting better.

I got my window sticker and build sheet information in. PHS does a wonderful job! I am blown away by the quality and amount of information they sent. Hopefully one day you will get a chance to see it all.

I was surprised to find the current color on the exterior was the correct color. I had thought it had been changed. I believe that means almost everything is original equipment. Well it has a new top. 

Thank you for the recommendation! 

Ted

• Thanks 1

Hey Ted, I found a hand written slip of paper with all the relevant option codes on it along with my chassis # when I pulled the upholstery off my seats. I can't remember for sure, but it was stuffed inside either one of the buckets or the rear. It was like finding a note in a bottle that had washed up!

I am curious about using PHS. I can't really justify the cost right now but would love to know any history of my car. I should be due to win the Lotto tonight, so will email them after I collect my winnings.

• Like 1

Fitzy,

Let me know how much you won??

I bought a 1967 Corvette back in 1985.  Back then I could have gotten all the information I wanted for it.  Today I cannot get the stuff I just got from PHS on my 1966 Pontiac. According to Frosty Pontiac is the only car company that you can still get all this stuff on.

For a little history; I got this car a couple of years ago when a friend died. He told his daughter to sell it to me for a price and I paid it.  It was fair for both of us. The first thing I did was copy down the serial numbers and all the plate numbers under the hood.  Then I began to research all the numbers and data. Long story short not all the information on the internet was correct. I had thought the paint on the car had been changed. It had not and I did not know that before I got the information from PHS.

The shear amount of data was astounding. I started out just to get the build sheet. That came with the following information:

The build sheet:

A color sheet showing all exterior finishes and identifying my correct color.

A color sheet showing all seats used that year and identifying my seats and color.

A sheet showing all engines used that year and identifying my correct engine carburation, code and quantity built that year.

A sheet Showing Pontiac's Billing history for the car.

A sheet showing Pontiac's production by body style for 1964 through 1967; the number of units and percentage of total.

A page explaining why we had window stickers and when and why they started to be used.

AMA Specification for all Pontiacs for 1966, 25 pages long.

A copy of the original news release to the press about the 1966 Pontiac Line, dated September 27, 1965; 8 pages long.

A copy of the original news release  to the press about the 1966 Pontiac Engineering Story, dates September 27, 1965; 5 pages long.

Once you have purchased this you can also purchase a Window Sticker showing where the car was delivered, all options and prices, but not the original color.

I paid $5 extra to have the window sticker laminated.

PHS letter explaining what they sent.

An Application to another Pontiac Club

After having made the mistake of not getting this information for my 1967 Corvette in 1985, I am over the moon excited about getting this for y 1966 Catalina.

Sorry to be so long winded. I hope it helps!

God bless!

Ted

• Like 2

Yup, Ted is correct. Pontiac is the only division from GM that will give you this kind of detail. All other divisions (except GM of Canada) have lost or destroyed their records. Pontiac almost did the same thing but Jim Mattison saved those records and created PHS with it. You can get similar information for Ford and Chrysler products.

That said, back in 2007, someone tried to break in and destroy those same Pontiac documents. PHS owner Jim Mattison believes that was done at GM's request. By 2007, PHS had become a bit of an embarrassment to certain GM executives. People felt that since you could get Pontiac records, GM had the records for their other divisions too and that they were BSing people about not having them. So some GM executives want the Pontiac data to "go away", as Jim told me as few years ago.

Another poster on another forum said this at the time - back in 2007, 

"for 18 years GM has allowed PHS to do all of the historical services on Pontiacs. In all of their wisdom they pulled the dealer invoices on the 87+ cars. THis is not because of PHS being in any kind of disarray, it has to do with GM. Also since Pontiac is the only division with a company like PHS, GM literally tried to physically break into Jims office and steal information as to destroy it. Apparently since none of the other divisions have this luxury they did not want Pontiac to have it either..."

Truly a sad state of affairs, so we have to appreciate how special PHS really is folks.

• Like 1

Frosty,

Yes, they are very special. It is to bad someone would want to destroy historical records. Sadly, seems like there is a lot of that going around. 

I want to thank you for turning me on to them!

God bless!

Ted Feight

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Frosty,

I hope you do get up here! We will take you for a pontoon ride!

God bless!

Ted Feight

Edited by Ted Feight
  • Thanks 1