Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

One old man, one leg, no shoe!

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

1 hour ago, Frosty said:

Last Indian - does the "honey do list" ever end in retirement? 

Great work by the way!!!!

NOPE......  But all the work looks good.

• Like 2

On 6/18/2021 at 8:18 AM, Frosty said:

Last Indian - does the "honey do list" ever end in retirement? 

Great work by the way!!!!

On 6/18/2021 at 9:58 AM, JUSTA6 said:

NOPE......  But all the work looks good.

What JustA said! No! It got bigger! Because I lost the, I have a job excuse! But in all fairness to my bride I could hirer someone to do some of the work, but I have no tolerance for incompetent morons! And you can pretty much never find someone who knows how to do it right, let alone do a job the correct why. 

You know simple things, like fertilizing a yard! Really! It’s not that difficult and yet it is! Folks pay an arm and a leg to have their lawns taken care of! Fertilized and lawn service! And yet depending on the area, soil type, rain fall, weather conditions some yards can look pretty bad! Why? Well first off the guy paying the bill is to stupid and lazy to be informed, or even drag out a water hose and water his yard! So really do I think he knows the difference between a insect problem or a fungus or even a nutrient issue? No he doesn’t have a clue! And more often than not neither does the service they hire!

Out of 9 companies I had look at my house to redo the outside only one gave me a quote! That quote was so ridiculous I could have sided my whole house in the most expensive siding available, had my roof redone and built a forth and fifth bay on my garage! The other 8 weren’t even interested they didn’t want to remove the cedar siding and didn’t know how to do stone facade siding! Seriously they’re in remodeling home exteriors and you don’t know how to do the work?

Edited by Last Indian
  • Like 2
  • Confused 2

On 6/18/2021 at 1:11 AM, 64 kiwi boni said:

Nice work Last Indian 👍 clearly some very detailed work in the stair case, it looks much better mate:cheers:

And the cladding job, well what do you say? .... at least you only have to do it once!!! :).... having said that, it gives you peace of mind that when you put it back together that you have made it better and more water tight than it was!!

And mate, at the end of the day you can step back and say.... yeah! that looks good.:cheers:

i know your justA like me and enjoy making something from nothing... so i bet you do enjoy it. !

Thing is with wood its not uniform, it will move all over the show after you have fixed it unlike metal, thats straight, uniform and stays where you put it !!! 🙄

Quite, the wife will hear you! Yes I do enjoy it! Even when I’m cussing up a storm!  If you sit on your ass as my father and his father before him did, that’s how you’ll die as both did! Now that may be how I go, but I figure if I keep moving even when it does catchup with me; I’ll make it a little tougher on the guys that have to cart my ass away! Need to keep the Millennial’s on their toes! I might JustA be on the second story roof!😁

Edited by Last Indian
  • Haha 2

On 6/18/2021 at 12:54 PM, Last Indian said:

Who would have thought that remodeling a staircase could be so much work? Add in remodeling the outside of the house and maintenance of over 300 trees, shrubs & bushes would fill one old mans retirement time.

Had to hand make about 50% of all the star parts plus remove the knee wall and rebuild a different one.

finally got my outside materials! What a pain that was! Ever peel cedar siding of a house? You have to remove every nail! I knew that, but there must have been a sale on nails the week they put mine on!

B4D5E3A8-885D-4894-836B-B79DC46DEE48.jpeg

247817CA-DCE0-454E-82D4-D551CDB16E9C.jpeg

3520F83D-EC53-4FB7-9CC4-0EC866CA7B2A.jpeg

83D83968-1B64-46F8-90A0-B54EE0854615.jpeg

B88E9EFD-BACC-4DC8-B023-3935ADA82EDE.jpeg

last indian, i see your pulling the cedar off that's mounted diagonally , it must have been a pain in the arse to water proof it around the windows!

what are you reinstalling ?

• Like 1

No happy, happy, joy, joy projects for Last Indian for awhile. He has to work his butt of this summer just to get his shop back..

19 hours ago, Last Indian said:

Well the cedar was ship plank. Ship plank has a undercut lip that the one above overlaps so it worked ok, but at the end of the day the crew the built it were real incompetent! I went to the house nearly every day & did most of the interior work, but I missed the transition of shell to siding because I was traveling during that time! Now I find in taking all this front siding off that they didn’t even use tar paper! Idiots! 
I’m using Stone Facade by Certainteed on the bottom, but just 32” high than transitioning to dimensional vinyl cedar board. Than in the back there is a fireplace chimney with cedar that will get stripped as well and finished in the stone facade! 
My shop is a mess! 

A9EB7368-BD71-4DD2-98A9-EE0FCA5AED9D.jpeg

4B63D264-B548-4D10-A04A-F988AE490E0D.jpeg

EB503793-2B43-4A5E-98FC-66A252A26D9F.jpeg

786094D4-9994-4303-A0C3-62218EAF3037.jpeg
and that’s not all of it!

wow!!! there is  a name i have not heard for a very long time !!! certainteed !! 

i worked with a building company back in the late 80's that was the local agent for certainteed! then it justA disappeared for some reason, i think back then they made cladding and sash windows ...

i recall there being a trick with the fixing... breather paper on the walls, then 20mm vertical battens and fix the certainteed to that, but not nailing right home, so that the planks could expand back and forth i think it was... oh and nail in center of the slot .... dont quote me on this as it was over 30 years ago !! :rofl: 

good trick tucking the long lengths under the cars!!! i have had to do that myself  👍

Back then i was employed as the building companies plumber and when plumbing was quiet they would send me out with the builders doing cladding and roof installations 🙄

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...

Great work last Indian ! I like the stone work 👍👍👍

i know what you mean about flashings !!

there  is nothing worse than a half pie job, and finding one some didn’t do there job correctly ! 

Now I think you should be taking a break. And give the Indian some attention 😀

• Like 1

last indian... when you do get too the second level, i certainly recommend some good scaffolding, either hired or buy it , but with the amount of times  you will need to go up and down, you really need to make it easy.

the days of using ladders is well and truly gone! 

proper scaffolding with a walk way, ladder and guard rails make life soooo much easier and safer! 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Well we got a little sun this past week. So other than some trim between the chimney and vinyl siding, soffits & gutters it’s done! Finally!  Notice in the last pic the old front cover on the patio. Had to cut that all up to throw it out, taken up to much attic space.

C7B1995A-7302-42E7-9A94-E91420073C54.jpeg

8CD01686-F893-4FD9-AD22-5B3CC064673B.jpeg

6CD70F8F-9158-4EA7-906D-45077066DBAE.jpeg

Edited by Last Indian
  • Like 1