Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

J J Web's 1967 Lemans

2024 May
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

72 GTO Convertible Header Repair

Go to solution Solved by Frosty,

Hey people, I just found out my convertible windshield header on a 72 GTO / Lemans is rusted so bad I put my thumb through checking. Question: repair or replace or I was told there was a product made to inject through the hole that expands and fills the void. Kind of like the can spray insullation foam. Anyway and help would be greatly appreciated. THX

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

Do you have a picture of where your hole is? I have a '72 Lemans Sport convertible as well. So I am curious to see where it is and how bad it is.

Mine is a 72 Lemans Sport as well. The GTO conversion took place before me and it was only a few decals and rear spoiler. The spot is about 1/2 way between the center and the right side, directly in front of passenger. I will get a picture and post this weekend. The size is now about the size of a quarter but I know the whole thing must be in the same shape, didn't show up until a spot came through the black vinyl strip covering it. 

2DCB03BB-C85B-4439-AF6C-1E92F53E32E1.jpeg

CF62C254-EA1E-4210-9F73-8E8281AC54F5.jpeg

On 5/14/2021 at 7:30 AM, Frosty said:

Do you have a picture of where your hole is? I have a '72 Lemans Sport convertible as well. So I am curious to see where it is and how bad it is.

0AC5E270-E5F4-402F-B3FF-765F85E63297.jpeg

809EF19F-DA72-4AC2-A649-24FEC75F0A0C.jpeg

• Sad 2

Yikes. This sort of repair is a new one on me. This definitely looks bad. I will have to research this one for sure.

14 minutes ago, Frosty said:

Yikes. This sort of repair is a new one on me. This definitely looks bad. I will have to research this one for sure.

Seems like there should be some injectable product, foam or flowable epoxy, that I can fill the void with. So far I've not found anything about a remedy.

52 minutes ago, MJZ said:

Seems like there should be some injectable product, foam or flowable epoxy, that I can fill the void with. So far I've not found anything about a remedy.

Foam fill will not stop rust.  You would be making a much bigger mess of it when you go to fix it right.  Looks like you need to remove the piller and windshield chrome to see how bad it really is.  Junkyards, when ya find out how much you need to replace.  If you can find a good one. 

• Like 1

• Solution

I could be waaaay wrong on this but this is my first shot. So tell me what you think. I am not 100% certain that the brace is what is rusting or is it the windshield frame itself. The vinyl is definitely what you want once you've repaired the rust hole.

Upper windshield brace replacement 

https://www.opgi.com/sheet-metal-body-panels/windshield/1970-72-convertible-front-upper-windshield-brace9/brace-upper-windshield-1970-72-a-body-convertible-ch27796.html

Replacement Black Vinyl

https://www.opgi.com/convertible-tops-accessories/convertible-top-hardware/1968-72-convertible-header-panel-vinyl-strip/convertible-header-strip-1968-72-gm-a-body-black-vinyl-ch27567.html

3 minutes ago, JUSTA6 said:

Foam fill will not stop rust.  You would be making a much bigger mess of it when you go to fix it right.  Looks like you need to remove the piller and windshield chrome to see how bad it really is.  Junkyards, when ya find out how much you need to replace.  If you can find a good one. 

True, and something like POR-15 will stop the rust. 

As I said before, it is the brace or is it the windshield frame itself. 

JustA has a point. Junkyards are an excellent source of replacement metal, especially in the Southwest. You want a 70-72 GM A-body convertible - Chevy, Pontiac, Olds, or Buick are all interchangeable for this purpose.

• Like 2

Thank you gentlemen, I have both  of those and a 3rd item associated with those due in today from OPGI. I was really trying to save all the labor by mixing a couple of magic potions and pour it in. But I never get that lucky. 🙂

• Haha 2

According to the TV show, Once Upon a Time, magic always has a price. Rust tends to be the same way. Cutting it out and replacing it or encapsulating it is about the only thing you can do to stop it. Anything else is merely smoke and mirrors and probably won't last.

Let us know what you find out once you get your new parts in and you get into it. I definitely want to know for future reference.

Justa watched Hot Rod Garage.  Tony N Lucky Justa replaced the top edge of the windshield on a Buick Gran National T top not convertable but as close as your gonna get.

Sorry you need a subscription to Motor trend to watch now. 

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt12787642/

Edited by JUSTA6
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

OPGI has 2 of the items I need on indefinite backorder. So back to my black gorilla duct tape for the near future. The story of my life these days. 

• 5 months later...

I just finished welding up a header for a friend of mines chevelle convertible. It was rusted out in similar locations. I cut out the bad and replaced it with same thickness of metal. His just happened to be 12 guage. 
You can fix this pretty easy if you have some fabrication and welding skills. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Guitarsextreme said:

I just finished welding up a header for a friend of mines chevelle convertible. It was rusted out in similar locations. I cut out the bad and replaced it with same thickness of metal. His just happened to be 12 guage. 
You can fix this pretty easy if you have some fabrication and welding skills. 

Thank you, the header replacement finally came in after a 6 month wait and now trying to get motivated to get my butt in gear and do it.

• Like 1