Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

Freight costs

64 kiwi boni

Hay guys is there a trick to freight orders that i am missing ?

i ask this as i have noticed that the cost of shipping items to me here in New Zealand differs daily, Sunday if i hit "place order"with rock auto  the cost was a little over $300, then i refreshed my order on Monday and it had dropped $50, so i waited till today and looky looky, its now $146 for the same fed ex shipping..

Which leads me too the question, is it a thing that certain days of the week are cheaper to place on line orders and you get cheaper shipping ?? 🙄

• Like 1

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

I am no shipping or logistics expert Kiwi. So take my suggestions as certain amount of BS.  I know mailing the tach to Fitzy in Aussieland varied from $100 to $240 USD. I choose the cheap but probably a tad longer delivery route to keep the bill down for Fitzy.

So I know carrier and speed of delivery are two components of that determine cost for sure. I suspect "opportunity" may play into it as well. By that I mean, if a shipper knows that a regularly schedule international commercial passenger flight is leaving (say) on Wednesday for Kiwiland,  but it maybe cheaper to have that same package get  on a commercial cargo flight to Kiwiland leaving on Friday instead. However, package priority/speed/price determines which flight it goes on, and therefore cost to the consumer. That's my thought on the subject.

Sadly, this is no magic formula that I am consciously aware of about when to buy that gives you the lowest shipping cost online.

Perhaps they take a look at your IP address and the software determines he ain't in the US or North America and  "hey I'm going to screw with this guy".

• Haha 2

• Founders

Agree with Frosty. If you've encountered that only once on a given item, could also be RA struck a deal with their shipping partner or their shipping partner found a new way to cut cost which went up on that Monday.

David Spade Idk GIF by CTV Comedy Channel

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Frosty said:

I am no shipping or logistics expert Kiwi. So take my suggestions as certain amount of BS.  I know mailing the tach to Fitzy in Aussieland varied from $100 to $240 USD. I choose the cheap but probably a tad longer delivery route to keep the bill down for Fitzy.

So I know carrier and speed of delivery are two components of that determine cost for sure. I suspect "opportunity" may play into it as well. By that I mean, if a shipper knows that a regularly schedule international commercial passenger flight is leaving (say) on Wednesday for Kiwiland,  but it maybe cheaper to have that same package get  on a commercial cargo flight to Kiwiland leaving on Friday instead. However, package priority/speed/price determines which flight it goes on, and therefore cost to the consumer. That's my thought on the subject.

Sadly, this is no magic formula that I am consciously aware of about when to buy that gives you the lowest shipping cost online.

Perhaps they take a look at your IP address and the software determines he ain't in the US or North America and  "hey I'm going to screw with this guy".

OR, and you computer guys will know....... is this a loga - rithmemmy thinggy,,, where the computer is coded to discount you if you dont hit buy now the first day and by looking to buy the second day, it discounts 🙄🤨 to encourage you to buy!........i dont know... am guessing here🙄.... i bet its possible!!!

i would be interested for any of you to pick a item on a US sunday with RA and see what the shipping is then try again on a Monday .....🙄

Edited by 64 kiwi boni
  • Like 1

• Founders
2 hours ago, Frosty said:

I taught my students that computers are incredible quick idiots. They take everything literally. They only do what you tell them or program them to do. No more, no less. 

often the idiot is found between the chair and the keyboard writing the code :lol: 

• Haha 2

• 1 month later...