Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

Like my collection of springs? Crazy Fitzy's Spring Emporium is overstocked. Everything must go - to the tip!

So, who would've thought that purchasing a set of lowered coils for one's Pontiac would be so fraught with danger?

I found a set of front & rears on CarID. Sweet price, 2" drop, assurances that they would be a direct fit, let's do it. They turned up and one look told me they were smaller than mine and appear to suit an A body. Turns out their website info was wrong. No springs available from that manufacturer, so after they instructed me to destroy those nice brand new springs they did the right thing and refunded my initial cost and postage. In the meantime, I keep shopping. Oh look, Summit have a set. Sweet price, direct fit blah blah...lightning fast delivery and I open the box and same problem - they were wrong. I try in vain for a local supplier. Oh look. Fullsize Pontiac lowered springs. Wow-that's a good price and minimal shipping charge. So, I admit I'm a bit slow but this time I asked for dimensions before I placed the order. Guess what? Their website info is wrong as well. Seems to be some confusion that (a) fullsize does not mean A body (b) Pontiacs aren't Chevys (c) Parisiennes that were assembled locally are NOT true Pontiacs because of their Chevy underpinnings.

So, I'm putting it out there. Any leads as to where I might try next? Before anyone says EatonDetroit, they don't offer lowered rears. And yes, I realise that lowering a car is not the bright way to go, but who can resist those beautiful sculpted lines 2" lower? I can't. And...you can't slice a coil out of the rears because the spring flattens out at the base where it sits on the axle tube, and who wants to cut springs anyway?

I can't wait until my headers turn up? I wonder if they'll fit? And the manual steering box I'm contemplating. I sense impending doom.20200729_171552.thumb.jpg.3c4c119fa5a01f8f0caaea25c2dfd99a.jpg20200729_171504.thumb.jpg.5eef1f2289dabd1092bdb07c022f1010.jpg20200728_173447.thumb.jpg.1b8cefab7f0e391b6906fe9bc9772638.jpg20200728_173341.thumb.jpg.e1910df5385ed5bad0507d3cb1b8b442.jpg

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

Who have you contacted so far for springs? Obviously Eaton Detroit (which surprises me that the won't make a custom rear spring). My next recommendation would be Moog but I am not sure if they do custom springs. How about Global West, BellTech, UMI, Moroso, or Scott Drake?

Who's headers and steering box are you getting?

Edited by Frosty

22 hours ago, Fitzy said:

Like my collection of springs? Crazy Fitzy's Spring Emporium is overstocked. Everything must go - to the tip!

So, who would've thought that purchasing a set of lowered coils for one's Pontiac would be so fraught with danger?

I found a set of front & rears on CarID. Sweet price, 2" drop, assurances that they would be a direct fit, let's do it. They turned up and one look told me they were smaller than mine and appear to suit an A body. Turns out their website info was wrong. No springs available from that manufacturer, so after they instructed me to destroy those nice brand new springs they did the right thing and refunded my initial cost and postage. In the meantime, I keep shopping. Oh look, Summit have a set. Sweet price, direct fit blah blah...lightning fast delivery and I open the box and same problem - they were wrong. I try in vain for a local supplier. Oh look. Fullsize Pontiac lowered springs. Wow-that's a good price and minimal shipping charge. So, I admit I'm a bit slow but this time I asked for dimensions before I placed the order. Guess what? Their website info is wrong as well. Seems to be some confusion that (a) fullsize does not mean A body (b) Pontiacs aren't Chevys (c) Parisiennes that were assembled locally are NOT true Pontiacs because of their Chevy underpinnings.

So, I'm putting it out there. Any leads as to where I might try next? Before anyone says EatonDetroit, they don't offer lowered rears. And yes, I realise that lowering a car is not the bright way to go, but who can resist those beautiful sculpted lines 2" lower? I can't. And...you can't slice a coil out of the rears because the spring flattens out at the base where it sits on the axle tube, and who wants to cut springs anyway?

I can't wait until my headers turn up? I wonder if they'll fit? And the manual steering box I'm contemplating. I sense impending doom.20200729_171552.thumb.jpg.3c4c119fa5a01f8f0caaea25c2dfd99a.jpg20200729_171504.thumb.jpg.5eef1f2289dabd1092bdb07c022f1010.jpg20200728_173447.thumb.jpg.1b8cefab7f0e391b6906fe9bc9772638.jpg20200728_173341.thumb.jpg.e1910df5385ed5bad0507d3cb1b8b442.jpg

Fitzy, do what i do, take your springs to your local spring guys and get them to make you a set.

we have a spring company just 1 hour away and they make anything you want from scratch 

that way you get justA whats needed👍

Edited by 64 kiwi boni
  • Like 1