Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

GM ushers in new era of electric cars with 2022 Bolt EV, GMC Hummer, Cadillac Lyriq

FeedBot

Teaser for Cadillac Lyriq electric cossover SUV based on GM BEV3 modular platformGeneral Motors doubled down Wednesday on its commitment to electric vehicles and announced new EVs from Chevrolet, Cadillac, GMC, and Buick coming within two years. “Thousands of GM scientists, engineers and designers are working to execute an historic reinvention of the company,” GM President Mark Reuss said in a statement...

View the full article

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

• Founders

could enable a 400-mile range and a 0-60 mph time in 3 seconds.

OK, this is starting to actually be a little bit more interesting. However, the huge turn off of electric vehicles for me is the charging. I don't think we'll ever get to the point of a gas powered engine where you just fill up in a few minutes and you're on your way. Going to have to start planning your trips accordingly. 

Right now I agree with you Ringo. Quick recharging is an issue today. I suspect it is merely an engineering issue and it will be solved in the 5-15 years. However, it does hurt cross country travel if you are limited to 400 miles per day (or less) because you can't re-charge (e.g. re-fuel) as quickly as you can with an internal combustion engine.

Also, as I've said before, the re-charging "infrastructure" (e.g. the charging station equivalent of a gas station/convenience store) is not in place yet. Someone has to build them. But who? The car companies? The oil/gas companies? Local utility companies? Your public tax dollars at work?

• Founders
39 minutes ago, Frosty said:

Also, as I've said before, the re-charging "infrastructure" (e.g. the charging station equivalent of a gas station/convenience store) is not in place yet. Someone has to build them. But who? The car companies? The oil/gas companies? Local utility companies? Your public tax dollars at work?

My brother-in-law, who is an electrical engineer, is a big proponent of electric vehicles. We were talking not too long ago about our next car purchases and he said that he really wants to get an electric vehicle as his next car. They live in Orlando so I even admitted for a commuter that it probably makes some sense there.

What you're saying though was one of my big things I brought up to him as he has been talking about once my niece gets old enough, to do a big road trip. When I was a kid, we legged quite a bit of miles in a day on a road trip, certainly more than 300 and some change (factor in some traffic) to get to our overnight stop. Then once you do get to your overnight stop, how exactly are you going to charge the car? Run extension cords to inside your hotel room? Pretty sure the hotel is going to poo poo on that. Going to be some time even before you see charging stations pop-up at every hotel/motel or some type of fee to compensate the hotel/motel.

Needless to say they bought a internal combustion powered vehicle a few weeks back :lol: .

• Haha 1

I totally get it Last Indian. I didn't want to go down that road totally but everyone thinks that wind, geothermal, solar, etc. are reducing our "carbon footprint" and saving the planet. That's the snake oil lobbyists, politicians and the rest of the snake oil salesmen have been selling us. Just like why I can't buy a 60W filament light bulb anymore and now I have to buy florescent or LED bulbs.

Electric is perceived to be pollution free. Heavy emphasis  on the word "perceived". Note that this is not the same as trouble free. Reliable. Dependable. Routine. Safe. Or Convenient. 

• Founders
25 minutes ago, indymanjoe said:

I hope more people buy electric maybe the price of gas will go cheaper LOL

Don’t want the demand to drop too low or so will the supply. Completely hope some drop happens though, that’d be nice 👍

13 minutes ago, Ringo64 said:

Don’t want the demand to drop too low or so will the supply. Completely hope some drop happens though, that’d be nice 👍

Realistically what will probably happen is the price of gas will go up..Because the states will start losing revenue because the people who buy electric cars won't be paying the road taxes that are attached to every gallon of gas sold..So to make up that deficit they will just add more taxes to every gallon of gas sold....therefore raising the price at the pump

Edited by TWO LANE BLACK TOP
  • Like 1

• Founders
5 minutes ago, TWO LANE BLACK TOP said:

Realistically what will probably happen is the price of gas will go up..Because the states will start losing revenue because the people who buy electric cars won't be paying the road taxes that are attached to every gallon of gas sold..So to make up that deficit they will just add more taxes to every gallon of gas sold....therefore raising the price at the pump

Makes sense. Changes are coming no matter what that’s for sure

• Like 1

14 hours ago, indymanjoe said:

Anyone price out a new battery for an electric car yet? what happens to the old one? Iv'e read anywhere between 8-12k for a new battery installed. And thats at 100k miles. I hope more people buy electric maybe the price of gas will go cheaper LOL  But of course the cost of my electric bill will go through the roof..Solar is a viable option for lights in the home but some gov't subsidized failure will need more tax money to fund the bailout as usual.

One of the single reasons the establishment gets away with their hype about carbon emissions is simply this! It is one of the most complexed occurrences on earth with so many variables they can easily spoon feed the knowledge-less public what they wish! For example Mt. Etna in Italy produces 5.8 million tons of carbon dioxide a year. There are approximately 6000 volcanoes on earth that they know of, but it’s estimated that it’s closer to 10,000 because of ones that can’t be found at the deepest areas of the oceans. It is also known that mountain ranges not only absorb co2, but also release it at their peaks. Likewise a large wind turbine uses hundreds of gallons of oil in their gear box which must be changed usually twice a year. Their bodies use a lot of fiberglass and their blades are entirely made of fiberglass, which comes from crude oil and there is more beyond that, big carbon footprint! 

Solar? Just as bad! The snake oil salesmen only tells you want he thinks will make you go away feeling it’s a better choice! Like well there is a little negative hear, but it’s still way better than petroleum! Well guess what? It’s not! At best; it’s a trade off! There are some nasty chemical processes associated with making those panels, but they lie about it. Kind of like they did with coal mining and black lung. The panels themselves have been found to cause a large increase in temperatures in and around the areas where they are located. Even more than wind turbines do in their area! Yes wind turbines cause localized warming because of how they stir the air at ground level. 

I could go on, but you get the point. One last comment! Not to get all biblical, but Revelations 6.6 says this! Protect the oil & wine! There is a reason for that. Those two specific things are God given and meant to be used for men’s benefit and both can be used as readily as not for energy. Oil lamps date back to ancient Babylon and it is know that wine was refined down to be alcohol! Fuel!

Think of it this way! It’s harder to control the bulk of humanity with multiple sources of energy. With one source of energy as your only option that becomes much easier!

Edited by Last Indian
  • Like 2