Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

FBIRD69's 1969 Firebird

2024 March
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

1966 Catalina under hood plate question

I have decoded the under hood plate all except the last line 4E 5Y. This was the car I had to give back when I was drafted in 1967, for my Asian vacation.

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

These are your Fisher Body accessory codes that came on the car from the factory. I'm still looking for the definitive list decode list. Group 5 - "Y" means deluxe seat belts (RPO A37). I can't find a 4E accessory code. A 4F means Comfort and Convenience package (RPO Z01). So if you have your Pontiac Historical Documentation build sheet, you should find these RPOs listed.

• Like 1

On 10/26/2019 at 5:00 PM, Ted Feight said:

I have decoded the under hood plate all except the last line 4E 5Y. This was the car I had to give back when I was drafted in 1967, for my Asian vacation.

BTW - Thank you for service. To all Vietnam Vets I add "Welcome home!". I don't think this nation can ever say that enough.

Edited by Frosty
  • Like 1

Thank you very much!!!

I picked the car up last night and drove it 75 Miles to a pole barn that will be its home until spring. 

It did give me trouble with the engine. It looks like the previous owner, a friend that died and gave me first rights to buy it, never knew much about engines. 2 barrel carburetor, tappet covers and oil breather all leaked. I think the gas was 10 years old and I could not hardly keep it running at a stop without taking it out of gear. If I had known I would have came up and worked on it for him. With that said it road like riding on a cloud!

Now I think I will start looking for a 4 barrel intake, put an electronic Demon 4 barrel carburetor on it, put, electronic points and duel exhausts.

I would like your thoughts on that good or bad. I am pretty open. I own several old Corvettes and want to treat this beauty right.

I do not think the car has been driven over 35 miles per hour and 1,000 miles in the last 15 years.

Thank you again for responding!

God bless!

1966_Catalina_Side.jpg

1966_Catalina_Front.jpg

1966_Catalina_Back.jpg

• Like 1

It's amazing what a proper tune up and timing will do to these old cars. So treat it to all the proper tune-up parts: plugs, plug wires, cap and rotor, etc. By all means add the 4-bbl intake, carb and air cleaner. Obviously you have to drain / get rid of the old funky gas. Fresh gas and Stabil 360 or Stabil Storage is a must.

I run a breaker-less Pertronix Igniter II kit (Igniter IIIs are on the market now) in my stock distributor to get away from points/condenser and dwell meters. Or you can get a brand new distributor. I also have a spring kit in my to bring the timing in sooner.

The valve covers are probably over tightened (which is why is leaks) and may need new gaskets. That maybe the excuse you need for some shiny chrome or billet valve covers too. Add some cheap bling. Dual exhaust is good.

What are your plans for the car? If you plan to keep it a cruiser, I would not worry about a performance exhaust. I'd get a quiet exhaust and spend money on some sort of sound system down the road.

In time (and money) I would also inspect the suspension, replace worn out bushings and ball joints, body mounts, drag link, etc. If the car doesn't have one, install a rear sway bar. Install front disc brakes for better stopping. Clean up the interior or top as needed.

Since you own Corvettes and may not have worked on Pontiacs before, remember that on Pontiacs the distributor rotates counter clockwise. Chevys rotate clockwise. So when you are setting and check your firing order, keep that in mind.

I see you are located in Lansing. I working Lansing, across from the Lansing Civic Center on Michigan, 1 block from Cooley Law Stadium and 1/2 block from the R E Olds Transportation Museum. If you are around this side of town, you might look me up and say "Hi".

Thanks Frost! That is a lot of great information! I am running the Pentronix 3 in the 67. The interior in the Catalina is perfect except the carpet and some touch up on the dash.

If you have ever sine a better with Toy 2 or 3 on it, it was one of mine. I would love to set down and talk some time.

I will be putting a new interior in the 67 this winter and hit the Catalina in the spring. Although Friday I will go up and drain the gas and cover her up for the winter.

Thanks again and God bless!

Ted

JUSTA6

Thanks!  I will. Probably more in the spring.

God bless!

Ted

Edited by Ted Feight