Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

Has anyone been able to find and/or fit some coilovers into a grand am without having to special order custom parts?

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

Sorry, I am confused by your question. Can you elaborate a little more please?

Most performance or lowering suspension kits or parts are often special order parts for the year/make/model, as compared to OEM/OER replacement part. So I expect such a part to cost more than a stock replacement.

The '05 Grand Am has front and rear strut/spring assemblies, so I am not clear how or why you'd want to move to a coil over. I can see changing the coil to possibly lower the car. I can see replacing the shock/strut with an adjustable one (if available) to change the compression and rebound. I am not aware of anyone who makes a purpose built coilover kit for the '05 Grand Am however, which I suspect is your point.

• Thanks 1

Im trying to move to coilovers for its adjustability in camber and ride height. Ive only been able to find lowering springs which dont give me any adjustment but im trying to get less wheel gap overall. As to special ordering is not within my budget.

3 hours ago, V6papi said:

Im trying to move to coilovers for its adjustability in camber and ride height. Ive only been able to find lowering springs which dont give me any adjustment but im trying to get less wheel gap overall. As to special ordering is not within my budget.

Preston, there are only three ways to buy suspensions for your car 1, stock type, (strut & coil, modified strut & coil to lower the body. 2, adjustable strut/shock type with a spring that can be moved up and down on that strut/shock. 3, air suspension, no strut, no spring. The last two are expensive & each one has some drawbacks of it’s own. Lowered springs with struts have a drawback because it affects the overall suspension travel & alignments become difficult. These things I believe you are aware of! 

That said all of these can be adjusted for camber, but it seems you don’t think that’s the case, but I assure you you can! The real issue is none of them can be adjusted for caster as they come and that’s where the problem comes in when you lower a car without the ability to adjust the caster!

I’m guessing you like and want that lowered look. So your only two choices are cheap or expensive! Cheap is struts & lowering springs. This will make the car seem to handle better because it will lower the CG, but in reality it will lay the caster back, making the car less aggressive. Expensive side would be the air suspension, it’s as close as you’re going to get to the best of both worlds & with some work you can even get a setup to change the caster! 

• Like 1