Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

Cam & crank timing marks

need help I have tried timing my 400 / 6.6 engine crank & cam shaft timing gears ⚙️ by having the timing marks at the top of each gear and changing the cam gear so the dot is at the bottom and the crank dot is at the top closest to each other number one piston on TDC distributor pointing at number one no luck I need a clear picture hope you can help 

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

12 hours ago, David Simmonds said:

need help I have tried timing my 400 / 6.6 engine crank & cam shaft timing gears ⚙️ by having the timing marks at the top of each gear and changing the cam gear so the dot is at the bottom and the crank dot is at the top closest to each other number one piston on TDC distributor pointing at number one no luck I need a clear picture hope you can help 

Sorry you’re have trouble, just double checking here! Standing in front of the engine, # 1 is the first cylinder on the right. Also a Pontiac distributor runs counterclockwise, just as a check for you! 

Always position the TDC timing dot on the crankshaft gear at the 12-o’clock position during timing set installation. However, the camshaft gear timing dot can be installed at 6 or 12 o’clock. Either position has no effect on camshaft timing and positions the camshaft in same relation to the crankshaft. It does, however, affect ignition timing. When the timing dots are aligned at 12 o’clock, the engine is at the number-1 firing position. With the cam gear at 6 o’clock, the engine is placed at the number-6 firing position. Since the crank rotates twice as fast as the camshaft, either position can be used as long as the distributor is installed accordingly. I routinely rotate the crankshaft several times, stopping the cam gear at the 6-o’clock position just to verify that the timing dots are exactly aligned with that position too. The crankshaft is then rotated one more revolution so the cam gear returns to 12 o’clock for the remainder of engine assembly.

What exactly is the engine doing or not doing..?? When you installed the balancer on the engine did you have to move it to get the the timing mark to line up with the zero mark on the timing tab...?? If that is the case...The outer ring on old dampers tend to move around rendering the timing mark on it completely inaccurate....

1553780330950875979997803215968.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks for your help with the timing problem can you tell me how the identify my engine the only number i can find on the block is 0391022YS any help will be appropriated 

3 hours ago, David Simmonds said:

Thanks for your help with the timing problem can you tell me how the identify my engine the only number i can find on the block is 0391022YS any help will be appropriated 

The casting number is located on the passenger (right hand) side at the back  behind the cylinder head. Where the bell housing bolts up. 

• 3 weeks later...

If the engine is a 67 or newer the size of the engine is cast into the side of the block. It will be 350, 400, or 455. The year of the block is cast into the boss at the dist. When you know the year & size you can then look at the block on the right side (passenger) just below the the head there will be some numbers & a 2 letter code. When you find the 2 letter code you can post here & i can tell you, or you can go the the Wallace Racing web site & there is LOTS of info on that site to give you any info you will need about the engine & heads you have. By the way the head codes are cast into the center ports of the exhaust side, it will be for instance $X or $^ or 48. It will be a 2 number or number & letter code.