Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

FBIRD69's 1969 Firebird

2024 March
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

Vibe Ebay Intake

I bought one of the cheaper intakes for my car and that messed up my MAF. since the MAF sits at the top of the stock intake box, i figured thats how the intake would come. well.. the MAF ended up sitting almost upside down because of the intake. throughout time, my car started acting really funny. ended up going in to limp mode and wouldn't let me rev passed 3k RPM. my friend and i thought it was one of the o2 sensors so i replaced bank 1 o2 sensor and still the same problem. we started playing around with the intake while the car was on and found that when we flipped the intake pipe back up where the MAF was sitting more of the way the stock intake sat it, it allowed me to rev passed 3k RPM.

well.. i had to end up replacing the MAF because i found out that their is some sort of grease or fluid that is on the little sensor needle that ended up drying off since the MAF was upside down. thats what caused the MAF to blow out. once i replaced the MAF and installed the stock intake, problem solved.

if you have the MAF that is like the stick going through the intake, make sure you look for an aftermarket intake that sits the MAF the same way and not upside down. :agreed:

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

Good info!

I'd like to add:

Unless you are simply buying a name-brand intake off ebay, stay away from them. Always go with the tried-and-true parts from reputable businesses. As the OP found out, cheaper is not always better, and it ended up costing more in the end.

Good info!

I'd like to add:

Unless you are simply buying a name-brand intake off ebay, stay away from them. Always go with the tried-and-true parts from reputable businesses. As the OP found out, cheaper is not always better, and it ended up costing more in the end.

:agreed:

the intakes always depend on what you have but in the long run, unless you dont have a MAF, don't get cheap intakes.

Yeah, I have an eBay intake, it's a really strange one, part Injen, part cheap, and I have been running lean ever since I installed it... :(

sometimes, they do tend to do that because your MAF isn't programmed to read all the air that you can suck in with an aftermarket intake compared to the stock. thats what sux about new cars. everytime you get a part, you have to tune it for the car if not, here come the problems.

Yeah, and then I went to get the JET MAF, talk about a joke... It does work, I will say that, I noticed a slight increase and better throttle response, but for the damn price you pay and the advertised amount of extra power, not worth it, you maybe get 3-5 HP off of it, tops...

Yeah, and then I went to get the JET MAF, talk about a joke... It does work, I will say that, I noticed a slight increase and better throttle response, but for the damn price you pay and the advertised amount of extra power, not worth it, you maybe get 3-5 HP off of it, tops...

thats somethin good to know as well. lol