Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

Hi everyone just wondering if anyone had problems with their dash lights and had to replace the circuit board? Have a 69 bonneville and found i have no dash lights.Though simple problem and just replace the bulbs.But found it doesn't have the pig tail type but the twist in with the circuit board.Checked fuses and good went and replaced the bulbs .I do have turn signals and even my high beam light works but no dash.I even replaced the headlight switch and still nothing.Gonna try one more thing and use clips to ground out the dash and see if that's it.If not then it's a bad board and wondering how much trouble it is

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

Am fighting this problem have ordered new twist plugs figuring everything is almost 50yrs old on it.but did check the fuse box and all the fuses work but noticed the top one has a plug in it and not a fuse anyone know why and would it hurt to put a fuse in to see what might happen

Plugs are not factory. I think someone was trying to bypass the fuse for someone reason. Try putting a fuse of the correct amperage into it. Nothing should happen. If it blows, then you definitely have a short in that circuit somewhere.

Are you checking and replacing all your factory bulbs since the original bulbs glaze up over time, making them dimmer. Next time I have my dash apart I think I will replace them all with LED bulbs.

Hi Frosty had the same idea and put a fuse there not sure but will have to check again what it said think it is assy.Just got all new bulbs and along with all new sockets also and if that doesn't work will have to end up putting in a new circuit board but hope that's not it since my high beam light works and the turn singnals also.Did take two sockets out over the weekend and they are pretty beat up.My thinking everything is almost 50yrs old and they never bothered to check or replace anything.But little by little everything will be new again the fun or restoring..Are the dash's hard to take out?My brother was taking to his car guy and he told not to use LED's he said they draw alot from the classic wires

The best piece of advise I can give you is to go purchase (either on CD or on paper) is a GM service manual for your year and make of car. It will tell you how to remove and re-install everything on the car with lots of illustrations.

http://www.themotorbookstore.com/1969-pontiac-service-manual.html?cmp=googleproducts&kw=1969-pontiac-service-manual&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIwObinoLL1QIVQzaBCh2McAmdEAQYAiABEgJqdPD_BwE

https://www.amazon.com/PONTIAC-FACTORY-Executive-Firebird-convertibles/dp/B00HR4U2PA

Dashes are not hard to remove, but they are time consuming as hell. You have to disconnect the battery, speedometer cable from the speedometer.  Remove the A/C Duct work and controls, drop the steering column, remove the steering wheel, the radio, the glove box and the glove box door, ash tray, any dash trim, remove the gauge cluster, disconnect all the wiring and hope you don't break anything along the way. All that so you can get to the 6-8 screws or nuts that retain the dash to the interior of the car. Yeah buddy, lots of fun. Oh and don't loose any screws or nuts along the way either.....baggie everything and mark it with a Sharpie.

This is easily an all day job if its just you doing all the work.

Edited by Frosty

Well replaced all the sockets with new and didn't do what I hope then remembered something I seen on u tube and taped a spot near the turn signal and poor it worked will have go back and see if any other spots can be taped if not looks like the all day work thanks for information on getting to it.was afraid that would what I would have to do.

• 2 weeks later...

Check with an Ohm meter the resistance across the circuit board.  They should read as an OL (over load) meaning no resistance.  Anything else could be a break in the board rending it useless.  There are bulb sockets out there with pig tails on them.  Auto meter uses them in their gauges.  You can just replace all of the bulbs with those and wire them up in parallel.

There should be a designated wire going into the back of the console for dash lights.  I cannot remember the colour of it but you could use that one.

Ok great do you happen to know where I can get the dash lights to be able to change it over..