Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

Auto Shift knob change

Couple years back when I was still looking to replace my Trans Am with a new Daily driver, I spent some time driving my Father's car until I could make a choice. He has a 2005 Thunderbird (which kinda helped me really think about getting a Solstice since it was a 2 seat roadster) and I ended up really liking the shift knob in the car.

The Trans Am in Auto form comes with a rather plain T-handle shift knob with a large protruding button. Never really liked the way it looked and missed the way that the 6-speed type knob looked in the interior. So one day I took the shift knob out of my Dad's T-bird and put it in my T/A. It worked perfectly and matched some of the curved design elements on the rest of the car like the door panel inserts. So I went to the Ford dealership and ordered me up a new shift knob.

Here is the stock and "replacement"

270351227.jpg

and what it looks like on

270351220.jpg

It sits a little high, but I really didn't want to go cutting on the shifter lever, even though it is okay to do so.

I really like the way it turned out and don't mind having a tiny piece of a Ford on my GM. haha

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

• Founders

Those T shifters are a bit annoying have the same design in my Monte Carlo and I really would like something like my G6 shifter in it

i like it. but id like it more if it was lower and forward facing haha

I originally thought that I could face it forward like it was in the Thunderbird, but the way that the shifter lever is notched only allows it to go to the side like that. A minor adjustment for me to get used to but I actually like the way it feels when I have to shift it.

another look:

270351211.jpg

looks good from the passenger side...hahahh.

• Founders

I like it because I had the T-shifter in my Monte and just hated it! Much better I bet than it and it does look better even though its tilted to the side. I love my G6 shifter so much compared to my Montes

• 4 weeks later...

sorry i'm not feeling it. it looks weird off to the side like that. i actually dont mind the stock "T" shifter. you always fabricate a Hurst T-Handle ratchet shifter in there. That would look tits.

wats the button under it for with the bied next to it?

Thats the "Fun" button aka The Traction Control OFF switch. haha

I agree with you, I'm not a fan of the T shifter either, I changed mine out with a Camaro shifter (looks a lot like what you have there, but the button is on top), looks much better. :)

How much did it set you back?