Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

Replace compressor or bypass?

My Camaro hasn't had AC since I bought it. Found out it had a bad leak at the compressor. The cheapest compressor I can find is close to $200.

Now, since I haven't had the luxury of experiencing AC in this car, I am thinking I probably wont use it often if I fix it. So with that said, should I get an AC bypass bracket and simply remove the AC system, or should I suck it up and fork out the money to replace the compressor?

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

I couldent live without ac so I say get a new compressor.

• Founders

I live in Florida so I say are you crazy! I couldn't live a day without A/C but I don't if you don't think you'll use it then only you know if its worth it.

Few questions....

What state are you in?

What are your plans for that motor?

Is this your DD?

Does Ponichio have wood balls?

How do you know that it is the compressor? Did you use the Dye?

After you get a new compressor how much are you willing to pay to charge it?

How long do you plan on owning the car?

help with that and i can help you.

I say if you already got used to NOT having ac then it prolly doesn't get too hot where you're from so bypass it. If you were here in Fresno you'd be pretty dumb NOT to have it!!!

Few questions....

What state are you in?

What are your plans for that motor?

Is this your DD?

Does Ponichio have wood balls?

How do you know that it is the compressor? Did you use the Dye?

After you get a new compressor how much are you willing to pay to charge it?

How long do you plan on owning the car?

help with that and i can help you.

NY

Not much more than what I have

Yes

Probably

Yes

I can get it done for $45 at pepboys

Til it blows up

NY

Not much more than what I have

Yes

Probably

Yes

I can get it done for $45 at pepboys

Til it blows up

How do you know about his balls? well anyways....

I say if you have plans to build that motor to be one nasty cammed up v6 then ditch the AC... if you plan on keeping it as a DD and it is just to putz around in then DEF fix the AC.

It is super comon for cars to have an AC system that does not work. most people (when you plan on selling it) will look at the AC for a make-it Break-It part of the deal...

in short you should rub a piggy bank on the underside with Al Green in the background 3 times a day while sanding on one leg chanting "The Schemdorpher is the ruler of the land" and the AC will fix it self.

(sorry i am feeling creative today...)

:badGT:

My suggestion is to get the new compressor. You will love the AC on those days that you need it.

Also, if you ever plan to sell the car at some point in time in the distant future (and not hack it up into a race car), then your resale value will be maintained with any potential buyer. Remove it permanently, then you will get even less money for it down the road. It doesn't add value, but a non-functioning AC will take away value.

Another tip. If the compressor leaked, you might ask someone to check the seals in the entire AC system with the aforementioned dye once the compressor is installed. You might not have enough AC system lubricate to keep the seals moist, soft, and functioning. I would hate to see you replace the compressor, re-charge the system, only to have it leak out somewhere else and have to spend even more money. Have the whole system checked out at one time. It might be more that the $200 compressor, but it is worth it!!!

My suggestion is to get the new compressor. You will love the AC on those days that you need it.

Also, if you ever plan to sell the car at some point in time in the distant future (and not hack it up into a race car), then your resale value will be maintained with any potential buyer. Remove it permanently, then you will get even less money for it down the road. It doesn't add value, but a non-functioning AC will take away value.

Another tip. If the compressor leaked, you might ask someone to check the seals in the entire AC system with the aforementioned dye once the compressor is installed. You might not have enough AC system lubricate to keep the seals moist, soft, and functioning. I would hate to see you replace the compressor, re-charge the system, only to have it leak out somewhere else and have to spend even more money. Have the whole system checked out at one time. It might be more that the $200 compressor, but it is worth it!!!

true say on the resale..