Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

FBIRD69's 1969 Firebird

2024 March
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

G8 Triple Hump Gauges

Here is a mod I did to my G8 GXP. When I bought her, I was disappointed with the lack of instrumentation. I mean, c'mon, an LS3 and just a fuel and temp gauge!?!

1. The stock dash:

DSC03707.jpg

2. The scary part, total disassembly:

DSC03710.jpg

3. Successful completion:

DSC03725.jpg

This set up really makes it a different, and IMO a better, car!!

This is before I purchased the GM Accessories Carbon Fiber Trim Kit.

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

Wow!!! Really changes the look of the inside! Great work!

What are the gauges now?

Looks like battery, Oil Temp and Pressure....

Man your car is just bad ass!

Looks good. I was deciding whether to do this triple gauge setup or get the reprogrammed atari gauges that show voltage, oil temp and oil pressure. I'm lazier than you because I just wanted to pull apart, plug in and put back together. How difficult was it fitting the triple hump gauge radio/climate control dash/trim piece in?

MoonPie, it's not too bad. In fact, the bulk of the instructions that I received and used were for installing the ataris. I also printed out a lot of info from G8board.com. With the triple humps, you do switch out the center stack trim (sides), but it is really not too difficult. I think the ataris just plug into the center stack and all the gauges work. With my set up, I had to install the oil sending unit and run the wiring. Not hard at all. The ataris will probably be less expensive, so that might be a consideration as well. I got my set up from JHP.

Oh, and one more thing. This set up is designed for the Commodore VE (G8), so there are no fitment issues at all. The set up JHP sells (if you choose to buy all the accessories), is pretty much plug and play also.

MoonPie, it's not too bad. In fact, the bulk of the instructions that I received and used were for installing the ataris. I also printed out a lot of info from G8board.com. With the triple humps, you do switch out the center stack trim (sides), but it is really not too difficult. I think the ataris just plug into the center stack and all the gauges work. With my set up, I had to install the oil sending unit and run the wiring. Not hard at all. The ataris will probably be less expensive, so that might be a consideration as well. I got my set up from JHP.

Oh, and one more thing. This set up is designed for the Commodore VE (G8), so there are no fitment issues at all. The set up JHP sells (if you choose to buy all the accessories), is pretty much plug and play also.

Yeah, I went ahead a got the reprogrammed atari gauges back in July, plug and play, I would have broken some shit otherwise, and I'm not lying.

holy hotness. i will be showing that pic to my buddy with a red gxp and he BETTER DO IT! but hes kinda a "keep it mostly stock for value" kinda guy...damn

MoonPie: Congrats on the gauges. Truth be told, I was waiting for Sellers Auto Sport (SAS) to get them in stock (I was on their notification list). I ordered the triple humps and then, literally the next day, I get an e-mail from SAS saying they were in stock. I'm still happy I ended up going this way though. Oh, and you wouldn't have broken anything. I think I broke like 3 of the little white clips, but the new pieces had them as well, so I had plenty.

Crimson: I can go back to stock anytime I want. I'm not going to let the promise of future value keep me from making this the car I want it to be. I do however, have all if the stock parts safely packed away just in case. Just sayin.....

MoonPie: Congrats on the gauges. Truth be told, I was waiting for Sellers Auto Sport (SAS) to get them in stock (I was on their notification list). I ordered the triple humps and then, literally the next day, I get an e-mail from SAS saying they were in stock. I'm still happy I ended up going this way though. Oh, and you wouldn't have broken anything. I think I broke like 3 of the little white clips, but the new pieces had them as well, so I had plenty.

Crimson: I can go back to stock anytime I want. I'm not going to let the promise of future value keep me from making this the car I want it to be. I do however, have all if the stock parts safely packed away just in case. Just sayin.....

i will let him know this. how much for the gauge setup?

scary part is now hes gunna go buy a cobalt SS too!!! god he has a collection of GM vehicles....

200X avalanche

2009 G8 GXP

soon to be 2009 Cobalt SS/TC

The whole set up cost me $1100, from an Australian outfit call JHP. That is everything though, they have cheaper packages if you want to do your own gauges (the pods are a standard size).

I too love my GM vehicles!! I currently own:

2004 Chevy Suburban Z71

2005 Pontiac Vibe (base w/stick)

2006 GMC Envoy SLT

2009.5 Pontiac G8 GXP

I had an Avalanche the first year they came out. I absolutely loved it!! Wife wanted more seating for when we have family visit, hence the Suburban.

Also, hope I didn't sound snippy with you. I'm just saying that you can have some fun and still protect the value of the vehicle. I see a lot of guys on G8board.com that sell the stock parts when they do a mod. I would never do that at all!!

Actually MTZVibe, they are stock. The triple hump pod and trim is from Holden Special Vehicles (HSV) an Australian division of GM. This is where the G8 (known as the Commodore VE in Australia) originates from. So it's kinda the long way around the barn, but they are stock (in a sense). The gauges themselves are not HSV gauges. A company called JHP takes VDO gauges and does a special color and font matched face so they match the speedo and tach perfectly. I think they did a great job!!

• 1 month later...

i will let him know this. how much for the gauge setup?

scary part is now hes gunna go buy a cobalt SS too!!! god he has a collection of GM vehicles....

200X avalanche

2009 G8 GXP

soon to be 2009 Cobalt SS/TC

Thanks Crimson, lol. I'm "That" guy who wants to personalize his G8 GXP, but not at the price of breaking something stock or modifying anything to the point where I cannot go 110% stock again.

@G8GXP19 - Your install has my attention... I'm interested in a plug and play into stock harness wiring that is already available. You've had it apart, what stock harness wiring is available? Also, couple of additional questions: is the setup oriented for right hand drive? What happens to the area where your 12V outlet is? -Does the cover just cover it up? What units is the oil pressure in? How was ripping the dash apart? Did you acquire any fitment issues upon reassembly? Is it held mostly by retaining clips? I would notice a gap of a few mm in a heartbeat. So if that's a byproduct, I'm out.

@Crimson - $1100? I'm taking donations :P

Thanks,

Dan

Thanks Crimson, lol. I'm "That" guy who wants to personalize his G8 GXP, but not at the price of breaking something stock or modifying anything to the point where I cannot go 110% stock again.

@G8GXP19 - Your install has my attention... I'm interested in a plug and play into stock harness wiring that is already available. You've had it apart, what stock harness wiring is available? Also, couple of additional questions: is the setup oriented for right hand drive? What happens to the area where your 12V outlet is? -Does the cover just cover it up? What units is the oil pressure in? How was ripping the dash apart? Did you acquire any fitment issues upon reassembly? Is it held mostly by retaining clips? I would notice a gap of a few mm in a heartbeat. So if that's a byproduct, I'm out.

@Crimson - $1100? I'm taking donations :picard:

Thanks,

Dan

DAN! WIN!!!!

• 2 months later...