Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

JAFO - Just Another Firebird Owner

Howdy boys - I've been the sole owner of an '86 Trans Am that I bought right after I graduated from college and I've owned it every since - 24 years now! It only has 43k original miles on it. I used it as my daily driver for 2 years and then I used it just for summer pleasure driving after that.

Like so many, of course I was influenced by Smokey and the Bandit. The car is black and gold. It has a 305 TPI motor, automatic, cruise, power everything, T-tops, the works. It even has the very rare Recaro factory race seats in it. So this car is probably one of 2500 or less (no way to know for certain since Pontiac stopped keeping track of the Recaro seat option after the '85 model year).

My wife loves her '04 Aztek. I must admit, the lines put me off at first, but we love it. She just turned 100k on it this past week and she can't imagine what she will own next. My guess is she will want a Buick Enclave CXL, but that is just a guess...for now.

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Founders

Welcome!!!!!

Good to see some Firebird owners on here!! Must be a wonderful car to have right now. Any mods on it? plus pics please!!

Azteks are nice, most people think they're ugly as hell but honestly I would rather drive that then some of the SUV-crossovers out there. Least it doesn't look like every other SUV out there as well and has a pretty good engine to it, the LA1.

Thanks for the welcome guys!

I admit that I thought the Aztek left something to be desired versus the original concept car. I grew to like it though. My in-laws have Pontiacs too. My mother-in-law has a red Aztek vs my wife's white one (both '04s), dad-in-law drives around in a red Solstice. My wife's middle sister has an '06 Grand Prix. So have a bunch of them. I guess you can say we are are own "tribe". :rofl:

Yup, I will get some pics and my Avatar updated real soon.

Welcome to the site!

The T/A sounds nifty, we have some other 3rd gen owners on here.

As for teh Aztek...meh. But It has a heart of a champion, so it'll last you for years to come. Just beware of the LA1's quirk, the dreaded LIM gasket leak.

Welcome!!!!!

Good to see some Firebird owners on here!! Must be a wonderful car to have right now. Any mods on it? plus pics please!!

Azteks are nice, most people think they're ugly as hell but honestly I would rather drive that then some of the SUV-crossovers out there. Least it doesn't look like every other SUV out there as well and has a pretty good engine to it, the LA1.

Only a couple of minor mods as I am trying to keep it original/survivor status as much as I can.

1. Edelbrock cat-back exhaust - after the original rusted through after 17 years! Dang it!

2. New Optima battery - I kept sulfating AC Delco batteries - Now I have a Battery Tender too!

3. BBK 58mm throttle body

4. Ported air plenum

5. TPI adjustible fuel regulator

6. Pertronix Flame Throwe Coil and HEI cap

7. K&N air filter

8. Delco AM/FM/CD radio (I kept the stock one too but the original cassette player is screwed plus I'd rather listen to a CD now days)

On the wish list is:

New tires - 2 are still the originals! Yes - they are stiff and I will replace them

New shocks - again - still the originals - maybe some gas adjust or adjustsables

New T-tops seals - yeah - they leak in the rain like everyone elses

New PCM chip - I'd like a little more grunt out of the 305 but I don't want to twist the back window out either

Replacement rear Aero wing - mine's torn/split too.

Howdy Frosty glad you could make it.

Hey Hey Buddy! Fancy finding you out here!!!! How's life east of the border?

Welcome Frosty!!

Great googley moogley that is a B-E-A-Utiful Bird. Just like you, Smokey and the Bandit influenced my love for the Trans Am and I think that everyone should own a Black and Gold T/A at some point in their life! :rofl:

Keep it shiny!

Welcome Frosty!!

Great googley moogley that is a B-E-A-Utiful Bird. Just like you, Smokey and the Bandit influenced my love for the Trans Am and I think that everyone should own a Black and Gold T/A at some point in their life! :rofl:

Keep it shiny!

Thanks. I do try. Damn hard sometimes since black loves to show the slightest dust.

'86 was also the last year for the full hood screaming chicken decal. After that, they got a lot smaller.

' date='Apr 21 2010, 12:19 AM' post='21692']

Such a pretty 'Bird.

Do an LS2 swap, and a winnar is you.

Tempting....like I said, I want to keep it close to original/survivor status as a I can. Now if someone has a twin of this car, then I say lets throw an LSX or LS7 motor in it and try to achieve low earth orbit!

Tempting....like I said, I want to keep it close to original/survivor status as a I can. Now if someone has a twin of this car, then I say lets throw an LSX or LS7 motor in it and try to achieve low earth orbit!

I can see not butchering the T/A per say...but the TPI motor isn't exactly a powerhouse either. Hell, just dropping an LS2 with a T56 and leaving it stock, you'd have a beast of a 3rd gen.

' date='Apr 21 2010, 12:33 AM' post='21695']

I can see not butchering the T/A per say...but the TPI motor isn't exactly a powerhouse either. Hell, just dropping an LS2 with a T56 and leaving it stock, you'd have a beast of a 3rd gen.

:lol2: Anything more than 305 CI would be an improvement but I have to be careful on the power mods. This car has T-tops and too much torque can twist the body with the hatches out!

GM didn't exactly have hi-performanced engines in the mid-80s (the Corvette 350 and GNX Turbo V6 being the exceptions). The Trans AM GTA and its 350 V8 didn't become available until late spring 1986. Mine was built in November '85. So the GTA and 350 were not an option when I ordered the car. In fact, the GTA could not be ordered with T-tops initially. Pontiac had to have time to reinforce the unibody to handle the added torque of the 350. SO T-tops were not available in the GTA until '87 or perhaps the '88 model year.