Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Shakercars's 1972 Trans Am

2019 August
of the Month

• Welcome!

Welcome to Forever Pontiac, full of great ideas for Pontiac performance, maintenance, or for peer-to-peer assistance from Professional and DIY mechanics. Also, compete in our Pontiac monthly competitions. Please register if you'd like to take part.

Sign in to follow this  
1BADG6GT

My 6 is dead

Question

Well here's the the full story of what happened yesterday.... :agreed:

So as some of you might know.... my 6 is not so great right now....

Yesterday as the wife an I were getting ready to take my daughter for dinner for her bday... I go to wait for them in the car, I noticed the warning "check tire pressure" light was on.... so I decide to take it a cross the street to the gas staiton and fill up the tire while my girls finished getting ready..... BAD IDEA!!!!

It had just poured for about 45 min to an hr straight right before and I mean heavy ass rain... it even hailed... anyhow.... the main street NEVER gets flooded when it rains.... well that was UNTIL yesterday....

The whole north bound lanes were beyond flooded but I tought to myself well If I flip a u and pull right into the gas station I'll be good to go... if I make a left hand turn I ran the risk of staying in an unknow depth of water for a while since trafick was all backed up... The only thing going through my mind was the tail pipe.... obviously the other end never crossed my mind...

So I thought... if I gun it when the light turns I wont let the waterget in to the tail pipe... AGAIN not thinking about the intake.... sure enough when the light turns green I gun it and as soon as I do I dont even make it half ways when the 6 just dies im like NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.....

Im stuck in a deep ass puddle/river.... it was a about 6" deep on the low side (driver) and it must have been a good 8 or 9" on the deep side.... For a while I was just a sitting duck... a lot of peeps would just pass by with out offering to help and when my bro inlaw show up then a bunch of peeps were offering to help som had chains others had tow staps... I was like thanks but no thanks to the ones with chains and tow straps for obvious reasons....

To make matters a lil worse when the car died so did the steering so I didnt quite make the turn... I slightly hit the curb with the lower part of the front bumper so pushing forward din't doo squat!!! I was like just great thins thing is LOCKED.... but then we tried pushing it back and it moves... thats how I knew I hit the curb....

With the help of 2 good samaritans and my bro inlaw we get the 6 on to higher ground and a passer by goes pop ypur hood, so I do. He said there's your problem.... you're intake!!! I was in denial at first I'm like NO WAY... it wasn't THAT deep so I began to pull it apart and sure enough it's full of water!!!!

We left it there parked for a few hours and went to dinner when we got back I hit a frind of mine to help me push it to the house which is technically right a cross the steet.... but NOOOOOOOOO it's not quite THAT simple... to get to my house from the gas station... you either have to go a block north then flip a U.... or you can head west and go completely around the block... the only problem with option one which seemed like the easiest.... is that it's a very busy street and there is only 2 of us that are gonna do the pushing.... so my friend suggested pulling me home... well first we air up the tire.... then I was like F it lets do it.... This time though I have more time to think about things and the ONLY way I can get pulled is by taking off the bumper and pulling from the support bar which we did... Now I have it sitting in the driveway waiting for me to get home...

As ANDY kindly suggested... I will drain the oil take out the plugs.... crank to blow the water from the plugs... and someone else suggested using STARTING fluid to burn off any remaining water..... I really hope I didn't seriously phuck anything up or have a short anywhere.... There is a wierd message/warning on the DIC that says... Charger Parked or Changer Parked... WTF does that mean????

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK MAAAAAAAAAI LIIIIIIIIFE!!!!

*cliff notes*

Heavy rain caused streets to flood

Stupid decion made to attempt to cross the river by gunning it

6 dies in the middle of the river

pulled the CAI to reveal the bad news... sucked up water

had to get pulled home

attempt to revive the 6 per Andys suggestion.

FML!!!

It's confirmed I did have water in the oil about 2 1/2 quarts....I drained all the oil and refilled... I took out ALL the spark plugs but I need to get a hold of battery charger to attempt to crank over... as of now it only clicks... I hope it isn't siezed!!! The wierd message warning still appears in the DIC... "charger parked" anyone know what this means???

Sorry tupp... I couldn't rec any vids cause I didn't have any help...

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

Not sure what that means. never even heard of it.

I have a battery Charger lol

lol its ok noob questions only lead to someone learning alot!

to turn your engine by hand, you must gain access to your crank pulley. usually there is a plug in the plastic shroud on the inside of your wheel well. you may need to remove the wheel, but you might be able to simply turn it to lock.

once you remove the plug, you can use an extension and socket to turn the crank pulley. turn it to the right so you dont accidently loosen your crank pulley bolt. more than likely you wont, but its possible especially if your engine is locked! if it doesn't turn, you most likely have catastrophic engine failure.

as for the DTC code, try leaving the battery unplugged for 30 seconds. i'm not knowlegable about these models specifically, but there may be some sort of sensor to keep you from starting it, as to not further damage anything. of course make sure there is no water left in your engine or your electricals!!

to turn your engine by hand, you must gain access to your crank pulley. usually there is a plug in the plastic shroud on the inside of your wheel well. you may need to remove the wheel, but you might be able to simply turn it to lock.

once you remove the plug, you can use an extension and socket to turn the crank pulley. turn it to the right so you dont accidently loosen your crank pulley bolt. more than likely you wont, but its possible especially if your engine is locked! if it doesn't turn, you most likely have catastrophic engine failure.

as for the DTC code, try leaving the battery unplugged for 30 seconds. i'm not knowlegable about these models specifically, but there may be some sort of sensor to keep you from starting it, as to not further damage anything. of course make sure there is no water left in your engine or your electricals!!

:willy_nilly:

this happened to the douche bag that bought my 2nd gen eclipse. sucked up water through the intake but he had at least 2 gallons which completely seized up the motor. .5 to 1 gallon alone just sitting in the intake. it was crazy. i do wish you luck man but make sure to check the intake manifold or plenum or whatever it is in your car to see if their is still water in there. you don't want to suck up more water and rust the motor shut.

good luck.

I got this a bit too late but thanks Kaymo...

I hope this is a sign of life for my 6... I hooked up a batt charger to it and with the plugs off I crank it and water flew everywhere... I did this 3 times not long just short burst it only blew water the first 2 times, it didn't blow anything on the third time.

Someone please tell me this is a step in the right direction! I went to Wally world to buy a small shop vac to suck any remaining water from the chambers with a straw. When I got home it was too dark to do anything else sobthe vacuming will have to be done when I get off of work today...

hey, if it threw the water OUT and turned over and didnt sound like HELL then you are definately in the right direction!

you probably wont get any more water out with the shop vac, but i would spray decent amounts of starting fluid in each spark plug hole and let sit to help evaporate any leftover water.

then (PLUGS OUT) turn the engine over again with the starter, pushing any starter fluid not evaporated. then install your plugs, and attempt to start WITH THE NEW OIL. if it runs and doesnt sound like grinding or like a stroker or missing on a cyl, then let it run to warm up temp, then cut it off and check the oil. if there is still noticable water in the oil, id let it cool, run to warm up once more, then drain WHILE STILL HOT.

if there isnt noticeable water in the oil, i would drive for about 10 miles and check again. if noticeable, change it again. if not, go for about 50 and check again. if noticeable, change again. if not, take it to 100. see where im going with this?

i would repeat that process, but DEFINITELY change again at 500 miles, no question. and dont bother to change the oil more than 3-5 times unless its STILL VERY NOTICEABLE, which it really shouldnt be by that time.

if you do that, you shouldn't have any oil-water issues. good luck, and i hope your engine is all good! crossin my fingers!!

PM me if you'd like my number, i dont mind giving over the phone advice.

Read and finally caught up!

Would this be a pretty good time to add some sea foam to the engine oil and help recondition any seals or anything for that matter that might be damaged, even slightly, by the water????? just a thought, and maybe some seafoam to the intake, too!

Thanks Kaymo...

1271268306.jpg

NOT WHAT YOU WANNA SEE WHEN YOU DO AN OIL CHANGE!!!

1271268437-1.jpg

1271268282-1.jpg

This is where it all happened.... I was to bumbed out to take pics the day of, so these are to give you an idea...

Tell the Gov-A-Nator to fix yo streets Foo!

you guys in cali? how far away from san fransisco? i could use some help tracking down a fat retarded chinese asshole....

you guys in cali? how far away from san fransisco? i could use some help tracking down a fat retarded chinese asshole....

IT LIVES!!!! IT LIVES!!!! sorry now what???

Kaymo... Im like 5hrs away... I think the closest is Bambamm... oh and you got PM...

Ryan hit me up!!!!

possible update... i just talked to him and he says that the oil is "milky"

That is a bad word because that is used to describe oil when it is mixing with coolent. mixing with coolent can mean that you have a blown headgasket.

When you drain it does it look like this???? THAT IS BAD!!!

20106d1251772497-oh-horror-milky-white-gear-oil-img_1673_edited-1.jpg

possible update... i just talked to him and he says that the oil is "milky"

That is a bad word because that is used to describe oil when it is mixing with coolent. mixing with coolent can mean that you have a blown headgasket.

When you drain it does it look like this???? THAT IS BAD!!!

20106d1251772497-oh-horror-milky-white-gear-oil-img_1673_edited-1.jpg

Not to be an ass, this reminds me of the idiot that tried to clean out his motor with a hose because his oil was soo nasty lol

But anyways ya that is not a good looking oil. Hopefully the motor isn't locked.

just talked to him. he's looking good. and he's a LUCKY one! sounds like he didnt actually hurt anything!

sam, i totally remember that. wasnt it like a four cyl mustang or something?

I'm rooting for ya buddy!

No its was a gt with a 4.6 if i remember correctly

THANK YOU GUYS SO MUCH FOR YOUR HELP!!!

The six looks like it gonna live to see another flood... replaced fender intake with shorty...

Ryan for some reason the oil on the dipstick looked THAT color but I drained the oil and here's what it looked like.... NOT milky whatsoever... temp maintains @ operating level...

1271292194.jpg

1271292238.jpg

how is it running?

Thank GOD!

^^^ :cheers:

Ryan... so far so good!

1 down 1 to go... the ricetasticPoS Suzuki looks like it blew a transmission seal....

Thanks so much guys for helping me get through this.... I would list names but I don't wanna screw up and forget anyone, and besides I fell like everyone pitched in... Man I love FP and G6P!!! I was blown away that some even went above and beyond and took the time to call and keep in touch via text to help out... thanks again!!!

I just came across this thread. I'm very happy that everything worked out for you. I see this all the time on my 4wd forums and I'm glad you got top notch advice from the members here. Reading through this thread you'd think a lot of people had hydro-locked 4x4's doing dumb shit as I have. The level of knowledge was very impressive. Kudos FP members. :cheers:

woot.gif

WHY ARE YOU YELLING???

:lol2::cheers: everything back to normal or does it take a day or two?

WHY ARE YOU YELLING???

:lol2::cheers: everything back to normal or does it take a day or two?

Well it's running normal although I still have the SES light on... Ill have to keep a close eye and baby it for a while just to be sure that I don't have a blown headgasket... I'm in the clear so far though...