Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

FBIRD69's 1969 Firebird

2024 March
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

Chipped/Peeled Paint 2002 Pontiac Grand Am GT V6

Around last year, I've been having issues with my car's paint peeling off. At first it was paint on the hood that was peeling off, but then after washing my car a few months ago, a bit of paint came off the side right by the hood. I've attached pics of what the chipping/peeling looks like.

Right now, I can't be spending a lot of money to try to repair or cover this up. My question is what is the best and most reasonable priced way to paint this up so that it at least looks more presentable at least for awhile?

0107161515.jpg

0107161515a.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

A presentable fix is rather easy. You will need to get some fine grit sandpaper and sand down the chips to give the paint some mechanical adhesion (a.k.a. tooth). You will need to extend some of the fine grit sanding into the surrounding paint  to feather in the new paint, but you don't have to go to far.

The slight rust spot is a different matter altogther since moisture has already gotten thru the paint and primer and has caused the metal to start rusting. You will need to sand that to bare metal and then apply a metal etch primer to seal it. Then apply a couple more coats of primer to built up that spot. Sand with 180, 300, 600 grit to smooth it out.

Once everything is primed and fine sanded, you are ready for paint. Mask off the areas you don't want new paint on. I would use a color match from Duplicolor of your car's color. I would apply three coats and let dry and then apply a couple of coats of Duplicolor clear coat. After several days of drying,I would use 1000/1500/2000 grit to knock down the edges of the new paint, and the use to polishing compound to clean up. I figure one can of color and a can of clear should do it.

If this peeling spreads much more, then I think you have a much bigger issue on your hands that may require a complete repaint of the car, which I figure you don't have the cash for. However, massive peeling is often a sign that the primer and paint do not chemically agree with each other (long term). In that case, the car must be sanded down to bear metal and completely re-primed and painted. GM had a huge problem with this in the late 90s on cars and trucks.