• Welcome!

Welcome to Forever Pontiac, full of great ideas for Pontiac performance, maintenance, or for peer-to-peer assistance from Professional and DIY mechanics. Also, compete in our Pontiac monthly competitions. Please register if you'd like to take part.

Ringo64

Why Are 4 Valves Better Than 2

Ringo64    281

Always interesting:

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

Hi, Jim,

Nice educational video on 4 valves vs. 2. I didn't have the sound on (but the pictures were good) Maybe the sound pointed out one advantage of 4 little valves vs. 2 big ones, that I was told about, whether accurately I can't say - better for air pollution reduction. In defense of the 2 valve OHV setup older Pontiacs use, I say the extra cost and complications of the extra moving parts are fine if you need them, but the Chev small block V8s seem to meet pollution standards while producing abundant power and excellent fuel economy with only 2 valves per cylinder. I remember a magazine comparison test report of a Ford GT, Viper, and Corvette. The 'Vette compared very well with the others in performance, except as to fuel economy, where it very significantly outperformed both - something like 20 mpg vs. 11 or 12. So it makes me wonder if we get more complicated designs for no real world advantage. 

Stephen

Ghost    120

good stuff.

2 small intake valves bring in more air volume. With greater velocity. Rather than With one large intake valve that actually creates a restriction and turbulence that disrupts airflow into the cylinder making it less efficient. Same thing with exhaust flow. Exhaust valve sizes are always smaller than intakes to help create backpressure in the cylinder. ideally you want the exhaust flow to be right around 70 to 75% of the intake flow. That is also why header tube size is important larger the tubes the less backpressure that's why they hurt low end power. It is all going out the exhaust. Especially on small blocks. That's why multi valve (example) ford 281 Cid (4.6) Cobra engines make as much power with 70 CID less than LT1 chevy. It's all about airflow. More volume and velocity = efficiency and power...

Edited by TWO LANE BLACK TOP

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Featured Topics

• Similar Content

• By steveeoaktree
      Well fellas, I will finally have some more time Saturday to get to tweaking the issues with the '76 GP's idle/accel issues. Started with running terrible and popping back through the carb. After a new fuel pump (smelled fuel in the oil), wix inline filter and new lines, and 2 Rochester carb rebuilds (soaked the parts overnight in the carb solvent the 2nd time as well as installing a new brass float), re gapped the new plugs to .045 that were gapped at .080 by the seller, new vaccum lines, and I also have the new pcv valve and lines (there wasn't one) to install Sat. It now accelerates MUCH better, but idles like it wants to die at stoplights (and does die sometimes) but starts right back up. I thought maybe to tweak the vaccum lines to see how they work best b/c some diagrams show a "t" going to the vac advance with one going to the manifold, and the other going to the carb... and some diagrams just show a single line to the carb. I also don't know it the missing pcv would cause any minor idling or accelerating issues, but I do know that it should be there. the timing is solid. I am going to drain the tank again and refill it with 89 octane fuel to also see if that helps. I am curious though, as it seems to only try to die after it's warmed up. I know there is a choke internal in the intake but it's tough to find a diagram specific enough to list all of the line connections for a 1976 400 2bbl... (most show them for the 4 bbl) If any of y'all have any tips, I'll surely give them a try either tomorrow after work, or Saturday when I do the rest... Have interior pieces to dye inbetween as well so it should be a great Poncho day -- just would feel much better if I could get this baby to run smooth! She's sooo close...

Thank y'all  for your time, and all of the guidance that you've given.

Stevee

• By djholzenkamp906241
      Just looking for input on what I should do to build a new motor for my 1968 GTO. I have a spare 400 block bored .060 over and was looking at a stroker kit from butler performance this will be my first engine build from the ground up would like to get 500+ hp....and any ideas on different heads? What combo works the best? Intake?Cam?
    • By Ringo64

Am not too thrilled about an I4 being added to the lineup, being a pony car and all but I guess there needs to be some competition with Ford and bring up CAFE mpg fleet sales... Need to see what power it will have and how much the new gen Camaro will weigh.
Tired of these Ads? Purchase Enhanced Membership today to remove them!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.