Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

high output alternator

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

How much power do you plan on putting in? Dan on here has some freakish bass and he has the stock G6 alt. A cap and wiring up grade may suffice.

stock should work fine. just go get a high power battery like optima or something. now if you are running tv's and system, then you need a high performance alternator. I need one for my system, playstation, and 32" flat panel setup.

i plan on getting a fi btl 18 and a rockford fosgate 2500-1bd or a 2500.1 diablo hellfire. and i was also unsure on getting a cap or a extra battery. please give me all your opinions thanks. also after posting this i was on my way to therapy for my back and some dumb ass ran a red light and t-boned me and did 10k worth of damage to my baby ill try to post pics later.

that sucks! i added an extra charge wire (same size as stock, so im double now) from my alt to my batt and i now get a tasty 14.6 volts at idle with a stock alternator. optima is good but not necessary unless you are relocating it inside the car where a sealed cell batt is needed. id just find a cheapo with a good warranty and good numbers. a cap is really just another small battery, so you dont have to get a fancy one. you can use a sealed cell out of a jump-start box, or even a 12v lawnmower battery. the best thing you can do is upgrade your wiring and go from there. you dont need to just go out and buy every expensive part because people say you need it for a good system. ive seen plenty of good systems with stock alts, stock batteries, and no caps

heres a tip, for HIGH quality stereo power cable, go find a BMW in the junkyard, almost all new ones have trunk mounted batteries and they use big high strand count wire. find a car that already has the seats out to make it easier, and you will need to cut the rear battery connector and pull into the cabin. the front doesnt need to be cut, it will pull thru.

then your best bet is to get quality wiring. that will help before all else. upgrade your main wires. sometimes its easiest to leave the factory wires and just add one on top.

batt pos to starter

batt pos to alternator

batt neg to body ground

batt neg to engine ground (near your alt is good)

you shouldnt have too much of a dimming problem after that. plus its cheaper to upgrade your wiring than buy a capacitor. just go to the junkyard and grab you some extra speaker wiring cables and big battery cables (like from said BMW)

• 2 weeks later...

great thanks alot i think i am going to get a cap and a battery + the big 3 upgrade. should give me the power i need so i dont have to upgrade my alt. also off the hand does anyone know the amperage of a stock 08gp alternator?

dont get the cap. they are pretty much ricer crap. you are better off getting a small sealed battery to put in the back, if its really necessary, which it probably wont be

caps are really just a scam to get your money for a fancy flashy thing. if you get a redtop optima you shouldnt see any dimming

Really? yeah your probably right thanks for the info everyone you guys are a big help. tomorrow i finally get my car back from the body shop hopefully its looking great. they told me on the phone that it is really hard to match everything up so i think that was a hint that its not right. again thanks for your help cheers.

yeah if they say that, it probably looks pretty bad. since insurance is paying for it (im assuming) id walk back out of the shop (when you see how bad it is) and call the insurance company and tell them the car looks like crap and they are gonna have to pay to redo it and the shop of your choice. then go get a nice BIG quote to fix it, and then take the check and buy your audio!

disappointment, my car was not done yet so far it looks ok well see when its finished suppose to be finished late afternoon tomorrow the still did not run the diagnostics on the engine yet so they might find something else wrong. I hope not though i need her back but if something needs to be done i would rather have it done right even if it takes longer. But deep down i hope it is messed up so i can get a little extra cash. well see cheers.

• 3 weeks later...

stock should work fine. just go get a high power battery like optima or something. now if you are running tv's and system, then you need a high performance alternator. I need one for my system, playstation, and 32" flat panel setup.

HOLAY

where on earth did you find room for a 32 inch tv :welcomeFP:

in other news though

definitely go for the big 3 wire upgrade..

we just did this in my buddies 98 civic.. and i must say.. not only is it starting and running better BUT the stereo is soo much more solid..