Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

FBIRD69's 1969 Firebird

2024 March
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

Michigan Widetrackers

http://www.widetrackers.com/

I will be there with the Vibe and my buddy Dennis

http://www.widetrackers.com/carol.htm

There is a front wheel drive awards and from what I remember there are very few that show up. These are a good group of guys with most of them forgetting more than I know.

If I can find the proper information for pre-registry I will post it up.

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks I was having a hard time finding it.

Having been to the MIchigan Widetrackers Dustoff show myself in the past, I agree that the number of FWD cars is small. The biggest group of FWD cars is in the Grand Prix class. There are virtually no Astres, T1000s (Pontiac Chevettes), G6s, J2000s, 6000s, Sunbirds, Sunfires, Azteks, Transports/Montanas, and Torrents. In fact, the Bonneville class has hardly any FWD versions. Still there is definite drop off of Pontiacs from the 1980s to present - except for the Trans Am/Firebird class. This year seems to be the first year for a Solstice class too.

If you live near the Detroit area, I encourage you to go - it is a cool show. Lots of classic Pontiacs! They have even brought in cars from GM Heritage Center collection before - like the first 1926 Pontiac, an original one-of-669 1969 Trans Am, a gorgeous '65 2+2, plus some concept/experimental cars like the only 4-passenger Fiero, a Grand Am version of an El Camino, the 1979 Trans Am Kammback - just to name a few. Also in the past, John Sawruk, famous Pontiac historian would attend and give a small lecture/story and have a Q&A session. Sadly, John died in November 2008. Malcom "Mac" MacKellar use to attend too. So a lot of the famous Pontiac engineers of the Widetrack era have attend the show in the past. Obviously there is no way to know in advance who is coming.

There are virtually no Astres, T1000s (Pontiac Chevettes), G6s, J2000s, 6000s, Sunbirds, Sunfires, Azteks, Transports/Montanas, and Torrents. In fact, the Bonneville class has hardly any FWD versions

Wut, no luv for Grand Am's?

I've been to the "show car" and "classic car" shows, but my car just don't seem like "show" material. Its just a clean grand am.

Plus 15 bucks for registration, does it go to charity or something? Free hotdogs?

Wut, no luv for Grand Am's?

I've been to the "show car" and "classic car" shows, but my car just don't seem like "show" material. Its just a clean grand am.

Plus 15 bucks for registration, does it go to charity or something? Free hotdogs?

FWD Grand Ams are extension of the 'A' body class (except GTOs) - Tempest, Lemans, Custom S, GT-37, etc. The same is true for the Grand Prix and Bonneville classes. Lots of love for Grand Ams - I just boo boo'ed and forgot to mention them. My bad! Sorry! Besides I'll bet you didn't know that in Canada, Pontiac sold the "Tempest" which was a re-badged Chevy Corsica for a few years. This car (if one showed up) would also be in the "A" body class.

I wouldn't worry if your car is a show car or not! Bring it out! Enjoy the company of the larger "Indian Nation" gathering. :rofl: You get to vote on all the classes or just pay to be a spectator if you are uncomfortable with paying the $15. I think the gate fee is $3 or $4 per person. There is also a swap meet area. You get to talk to owners and hear their stories of their cars, what they did to it, etc.. I love shows like this because it gives me ideas on what I might like to do to my car.

Yes, on the registration page you will see the show is supporting a local Lions club. I don't think there is any free food (man I wish...).

So how did you pre-register, i'm not printing that out and mailing it to him. There has to be a better way.

So how did you pre-register, i'm not printing that out and mailing it to him. There has to be a better way.

Since I've been to the show before, they snail mail a registration form to me in the early spring. I am not aware of any online, electronic registration. Sorry. The registration form is essentially the flier. It is just on colored paper.

I would suggest that you just print out only the registration portion of the flier and mail it in with a check if you are going.

Since I've been to the show before, they snail mail a registration form to me in the early spring. I am not aware of any online, electronic registration. Sorry. The registration form is essentially the flier. It is just on colored paper.

I would suggest that you just print out only the registration portion of the flier and mail it in with a check if you are going.

Obviously you can register the day of the show too. It just $5 bucks more.....

Yeah, i might just email the guy. Tell him he needs to get up to date with technology here.

I would cut him some slack if I were you. I am also a life member and past president of a local downhill ski club and I can tell you that we operated on a shoestring when I was president. We still do to this day. There is some small net income (hopefully) at the end of the year but spending money for new computers, professional websites, and VISA/Paypal-like services is often simply out of the question - due to money.

You must rely on club members that have their own PCs to distribute emails and such (most people do own their own PCs now but they didn't 10-15 years ago). At (say) $900 for a new decent machine, that is often beyond what a constrained club can do plus you have to consider replacing it again in 3-7 years. Most clubs can't afford this unless they are a large club with lots of paying members. A club of 10-200 people might not have that luxury.

Website creation and maintenance is often left to someone in the club who might know JAVA, HTML, Visual Basic, or .NET and they do this in their spare time. Plus this person is probably doing it for the love of the club and is not comphensated for thier time or dedication.

Paying for MC/VISA/AMEX/Paypal services is ideal but the fees from these organizations range from 2-15% plus the cost of monthly subscription, equipment, or services fee for the card reader or processing service. Again, as a constrained club, due you want to pay those fees? If you do go with these services, you must then decide if you are going to raise membership dues or event costs to cover these fees or eat these fees (which goes into your bottom line)? Given the economy these days, I would think most club members would have your head on a stick if you decided to do that in the first place.

This is just my opinion, but it is reality. My son's Boy Scout troop is the same way - we have 39 boys. We are not large enough to justify these things, convienent though they may be.

• Founders

Yea its kinda pricey to get online but its not bad depending on what you have plus members etc. I run a server hosting business and we have really good prices I think, kinda got upped since we switched DCs but that's beside the point here.

To get a shared hosting server going it will cost around $9/month for small bandwidth, space and domain allocation, $15ish/year for domain then depending on your hosting company $0-50 to get you up and running. You can use Paypal but they will take a cut of each payment as always but it isn't too bad. If you collect $10 a year and have at least 10 members you've covered your costs plus shows, events, fund-raising (t-shirts, hats, etc...) it can easily be done.

Um last time i checked, a paypal account was free. But like he said, paypal will take pennies if that on the dollar.

You even said it yourself, with the hard economic why the FORD would i buy a 44 cent stamp just to mail him cash when i could do it electronically.

It looks to me like they already have a website. All that is needed is a button which paypal gives you and you click it and send in your money with a note saying year and make of your car ect. Or better yet, an emil address saying, "send money to this email address though paypal"

Not sure where you came up with all that BS but I think you are just making excuses for why there isn't a way to do online transactions.

You even said it yourself, with the hard economic why the FORD would i buy a 44 cent stamp just to mail him cash when i could do it electronically.

Not sure where you came up with all that BS but I think you are just making excuses for why there isn't a way to do online transactions.

Feel free to give them your electronic savings account so they can use it to pay for the services and equipment you feel they so desperately need then. They might be even be a non-profit organization, so you might get a tax deduction out of it. I am sure they will accept your kind and generous donation.

Otherwise, don't spend the 44 cents, don't write the check, and don't go to the show! That choice is yours. How they choose to conduct business is not. Deal with it!

If you think this is such a grevious problem, then join their club, become a member or better yet become a board member, and show them the light and path of going electronic. Get involved and make a difference.

Yeah, i might just email the guy. Tell him he needs to get up to date with technology here.

That is exactly what that post was about.

That is exactly what that post was about.

I think we've lost sight of the entire topic here. It was started by notallthere about an All Pontiac-Oakland-GMC car show in the Detroit area and encouraging the FWD Pontiac community in the area to come out in force and hang with other Pontiac fans. I jumped in the discussion to further support the show based on my own experiences at that show. This topic has disgressed into complaining about wheither or not the sponsoring car club itself has electronic transactions AND not about the car show or its merits. Who cares about online transactions? Why is that so important or even relevant to this topic thread's discussion?

My point is this: here is an opprtunity to see some great cars and trucks that we all love, check out a lot of great rides, get some ideas for our own cars, hear some stories, check out the swap meet area, and have a good time with fellow 'Indians'. How the club runs the event is none of our business unless we choose to become a member.

Finally, if you find my explanations of how social clubs work is so much BS, then I suggest you start your own club or join an existing one and see what it takes to organize and run it for yourself. Find out first hand what it takes to run a club. It sounds simple, but it isn't. It's very time consuming. You have to be passionate, dedicated, and creative. You do it for the love of comradary, friendship, common sense of purpose, or the fun that a social group provides. You don't do it for the money because there isn't any.

If I were there event organizer and I got your complaint, knowing that you are not a member of the club, I might be inclined to tell you that "your input is important to me, it will be ignored in the order it was recieved".

So can we just focus on the merits of the show in this topic please?

I'm looking forward to it once the car hits the body shop and then goes for a good engine cleaning. I cannot wait to have the smallest engine at the meet. At least my car has the man pedal.

I'm looking forward to it once the car hits the body shop and then goes for a good engine cleaning. I cannot wait to have the smallest engine at the meet. At least my car has the man pedal.

You might have some competition for that honor if the guy shows up again with his '77 Astre. Otherwise, yeah, I think you might be a shoe in for that.

Nope I may have him beat. The smallest engine in the Astre was 2.0L and mine is a 1.8L. I can drink more beer with a steak then the displacement of the engine of my car.

• 2 weeks later...

Nope I may have him beat. The smallest engine in the Astre was 2.0L and mine is a 1.8L. I can drink more beer with a steak then the displacement of the engine of my car.

I hate to burst your bubble, but there were a few Pontiacs that had even smaller engines. Anybody remember the T1000 (the Pontiac version of the Chevette) - 1.4 & 1.6L.?Pontiac Lemans (88-93) built by Daewoo - 1.5L? Pontiac Firefly (Canada only) - 1.4L?

Still you might win the smallest displacement at the show. I doubt anyone is going to show up with any of these cars.

• 1 month later...

Great show, good guys to deal with. Give me a couple days to get my computer back from the STD clinic and I will post up pictures.

Tired of these Ads? Purchase Enhanced Membership today to remove them!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.