Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

wtjosaas' 1970 Firebird

2018 July
of the Month

• Welcome to Forever Pontiac

Welcome to Forever Pontiac, full of great ideas for Pontiac performance, maintenance, or for peer-to-peer assistance from Professional and DIY mechanics. Also, compete in our Pontiac monthly competitions. Please register if you'd like to take part.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FeedBot

Car and Driver: Open-Air Electrification: BMW to Add i8 Spyder Plug-in Hybrid

P90091823_lowRes_bmw-i8-concept-spyde

-

BMW plans to launch an open-top version of its i8 hybrid sports car, CEO Harald Krüger has told the German business paper Handelsblatt. Such a model has been expected to come to market ever since BMW unveiled a concept car in April 2012. However, sales of the regular i8 have been so good that there was little need to boost the model by adding a topless variant.

-

The i8 Spyder, as we expect it to be called, likely will be fitted with an ultra-lightweight carbon-fiber top. Under the skin, it will use an updated version of the current i8 powertrain; we expect it to keep the 1.5-liter three-cylinder engine, which could be mated to a more powerful version of the front-mounted electric motor. The battery pack may be upgraded to reach a range of more than 30 miles, not least in order to comply with China’s requirements for plug-in hybrids.

-
--
-

Expect more information to trickle out as we move closer to the i8 Spyder’s launch: sometime in late 2016 or 2017.

-sXLU_XZ-GoY

Read Full Article

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

Tired of these Ads? Purchase Enhanced Membership today to remove them!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.