Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

FBIRD69's 1969 Firebird

2024 March
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

How to Remove Pontiac Arrowhead?

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

• Founders

Usually you can just heat them up with a blow-drier take some floss run the floss behind the badge and slowly it will come off. Then use goo gone or whatever to help get rid of residue.

Don't quote me on this exact method as I haven't used it but some friends have told me that's how they did theirs so I have no real first hand knowledge but logically this should work :D

• Founders

Somewhere I read that Goo-Gone takes off the paint. Is this true?

In mass quantities yes, I used a little bit to take off my dealer badge as well as some stupid stickers we used to have to have here for parking on our bumpers and nothing happened. Been about 2-3 years since that.

• Founders

Okay and I want to vinyl it with orange and black, so could I just put with back on without adding anything after i vinyl it or do I need to add something?

If your using vinyl stickers, no need to take the badge off :bacon: They're called overlays for a reason, just put it right on top of the badge. :D

I think this solves the question?

If your using vinyl stickers, no need to take the badge off :bacon: They're called overlays for a reason, just put it right on top of the badge. :D

I think this solves the question?

It just really hard to get the overlays perfect without taking off the arrow. I've tried...unless you have any good methods.

• Founders

It just really hard to get the overlays perfect without taking off the arrow. I've tried...unless you have any good methods.

Soapy water :D works wonders! Will allow you to move the vinyl around for a bit till you have it perfect! How I do all my vinyls :bacon:

Soapy water :lol2: works wonders! Will allow you to move the vinyl around for a bit till you have it perfect! How I do all my vinyls :lol2:

If you use soapy water though will the vinyl take off the chrome if I decide to take it off?

• Founders

If you use soapy water though will the vinyl take off the chrome if I decide to take it off?

Can you state that again? lol don't quite understand.

Most vinyl overlays will cover only the red part of the dart unless otherwise stated.

Can you state that again? lol don't quite understand.

Most vinyl overlays will cover only the red part of the dart unless otherwise stated.

Yea I was going to order the red part off a sight to make it black, and then make the chrome orange by making the vinyls myself.

I was wondering if I use the soapy water and I want the orange off later, will the vinyl peel the chrome off when I take it off?

Sorry for the confusion..

• Founders

Oh no it shouldn't at all, the sticker is strong enough to stay on for a long time but its not that strong to take off paint or in this instance chrome from a badge. All the soapy water does is enable you to move it around to your liking, won't do anything else.

Oh no it shouldn't at all, the sticker is strong enough to stay on for a long time but its not that strong to take off paint or in this instance chrome from a badge. All the soapy water does is enable you to move it around to your liking, won't do anything else.

Ok thanks! Ill try to post pics whenever I'm done if your interested.

Good luck with the vinyl, you'd probably have to stretch it to cover the chrome, which won't be easy... but when you do want to take it off, it's won't be a problem at all in terms of hurting the chrome, it's still a PITA... I do have a warning, as I once removed the arrowhead on my 06 Vibe, if you do use the hair dryer, be VERY careful not to over heat the paint, I got a nice little thumb print in my paint... the paint will be very pliable. Watch the edges of the vinyl over curved surfaces as well, I put a vinyl sticker over the Vibe logo and it started peeling off. I haven't put any stickers on my '09, the arrowhead Pontiac used are much nicer then the older ones.

24962410030_medium.jpg

24962410042_medium.jpg

BTW, nice to see another Jet black GT.

Good luck with the vinyl, you'd probably have to stretch it to cover the chrome, which won't be easy... but when you do want to take it off, it's won't be a problem at all in terms of hurting the chrome, it's still a PITA... I do have a warning, as I once removed the arrowhead on my 06 Vibe, if you do use the hair dryer, be VERY careful not to over heat the paint, I got a nice little thumb print in my paint... the paint will be very pliable. Watch the edges of the vinyl over curved surfaces as well, I put a vinyl sticker over the Vibe logo and it started peeling off. I haven't put any stickers on my '09, the arrowhead Pontiac used are much nicer then the older ones.

24962410030_medium.jpg

24962410042_medium.jpg

BTW, nice to see another Jet black GT.

Any advice how to not overheat the paint but still take off the arrow?

You dont have to use a blow drier. I pulled my GM chicklets off and my G6 bagde off. I did it on a cool day so most of the junk came off too. Just get some thin but strong wire, use your thumbs and slip it behind the badge and gently pull/slid down to cut the goo. If there is left over goo just put some goo gone on a soft clost rub it on, let it set like 2 min. and wipe off gently. You will propably have some ghosting so you should wash and wax the spot, which is a good idea any way. DO NO USE PAPER TOWELS! I learned the heard way. I had swirls for like a month and had to wax them out, and it was a pita.

I also need help getting off the front arrow. It is giving me trouble because it sits in a engraved part of the front end, and I can't get a wire behind it.

I would say, start from the bottom with some fishing line and work your way up... I had to break mine to get it off.... good luck.

• 2 weeks later...