Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

1986 Trans AM Progression

'Bout time I started a progression page, as I've already made a lot of head way... But I've still got a LONG way to go...

Cliff notes of what's happen so far...

On January 6 2010, on the coldest day in 30 years(I was also sick as a dog), I picked up my Trans AM that I had been looking for over a year. I found the car in Clearwater, FL, it's a red and silver 1986 305 TPI, auto with T-Tops. Paid $1,700 for it with tax tag and title. It starts up most of the time and runs strong. It has new tires and a fan switch with 3 modes, and the best part is the body is in very good shape with new paint. But she needs a LOT of work.

7417535aa09826e8d7446de0b302183fa5d.jpg

DSCF2287.jpg

DSCF2264.jpg

DSCF2250.jpg

DSCF2253.jpg

DSCF2254.jpg

DSCF2237.jpg

DSCF2238.jpg

DSCF2233.jpg

:lol2: More to come...

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

those damn dashes they always cracks all i can say is get a nice looking one and then a cover wihich will prevent any other cracks and go junk yarding like a pick a part urself one there so much funner

Found Hack Jobs done by previous owner:

Duct tape fixes EVERY THING!!

Duct tape, fixing the problem in 2 seconds flat. Beer any one?

DSCF2354.jpg

DSCF2353.jpg

DSCF2253.jpg

I do my own stunts

"Hey Bob, I aint got none of them twisty connectors for them radio wires." "That's ok Jeb, I got these here butt connectors and electrical tape." "hehe, you said butt."

DSCF2355.jpg

DSCF2357.jpg

DSCF2371.jpg

DSCF2372.jpg

*Snip* *snip*

Windshield wiper fluid not working? Not a problem we'll just cut a hole in the cap and that would be problem solved, let's go have a beer.

DSCF2272CROP.jpg

2-3 hours to drop the fuel tank and get the job done right, nope, we're cutting a access hole in the back of the car, and do we weld it back in, nope, 4 screws and clear caulk will do nicely.

DSCF2333.jpg

Two tone interiors are cool

Don't get me wrong, I love the two tone interior, but I think it's best if the carpet stays one color (and spray painting the carpet is NOT the way to change the color).

DSCF2342.jpg

The belt for the AC is also gone for whatever reason, the bracket to hold up the computer is also gone (the yellow and black thing in the last picture with the wires), there a a tone of wires that go nowhere probably from a sub and security system. The back seats was from a different year Firebird and don't match the front seats, they also weren't installed, they were just sitting there.

And this is what I have found so far...

those damn dashes they always cracks all i can say is get a nice looking one and then a cover wihich will prevent any other cracks and go junk yarding like a pick a part urself one there so much funner

Already done, it's currently hiding under my bed, away from the sun along with a center console... we have a pull it your self junk yard in Tampa and St. Petersburg, I think there name is LKQ.

Unfortunately, the fuel tank access door is a very common hack job people like to do to third gens, and it can lead to trouble. Watch the metal surrounding it for stress cracks.

' date='Mar 16 2010, 10:44 AM' post='17348']

That 3rd gen needs a lot of ruvin'.

What's the plan for it?

Right now, restoring it is #1, then 350 Chevy small block (408 hp) repaint the thing Sunset Orange Metallic, like so...

picture05.jpg

Cowl hood (I actually tried to get this bird, but it was out of my price range)

MyTransAm.jpg

Unfortunately, the fuel tank access door is a very common hack job people like to do to third gens, and it can lead to trouble. Watch the metal surrounding it for stress cracks.

Yeah she's gotta go to a body shop for rust holes, I'll have them take a look at it too.

Get it welded back up if at all possible. With third gens being true unibodies, having a hole cut in it like that is no good. If you don't have stress cracks there now, you will soon. It's just a matter of time.

SOM is a hella sexy color. Similar to the Fusion Orange that came on the 5th gen GA's in the latter half of it's lifespan.

So just a 350 crate motor? No mods to it? No cam, headers, ported parts?

What I've done so far...

Stripped the inside, I'm currently working on killing the rust and prepping it to be painted with rust bullet and to be welded.

DSCF2361.jpg

DSCF2365.jpg

DSCF2373.jpg

Rust found under driver's seat and in passenger's foot area, it's a lot better then I expected.

DSCF2377.jpg

DSCF2375.jpg

DSCF2359.jpg

Removed weather stripping for T-Tops, lots of holes, but it is also better then I thought it would be.

DSCF2389.jpg

DSCF2393.jpg

Replaced hatch, not bad finding a donor car the same color eh? it'll need all new windows, the font is cracked, the sides are chipped and the back, well, it says "riding solo"... so that's gotta go.

DSCF2315.jpg

DSCF2323.jpg

Replace a ton of bulbs, every thing but the tail lights, no wonder they didn't work, they were old as all get out. It's going to need new fogs due to some mad rust.

DSCF2312.jpg

DSCF2326.jpg

DSCF2310.jpg

DSCF2309.jpg

Duct tape delete

DSCF2334.jpg

I'm thinking about taking it some where so a professional can take a look at the wiring, which I know nothing about. It's going to get a touch screen HU, and a two way security system and/or LoJack.

' date='Mar 16 2010, 11:31 AM' post='17358']

SOM is a hella sexy color. Similar to the Fusion Orange that came on the 5th gen GA's in the latter half of it's lifespan.

So just a 350 crate motor? No mods to it? No cam, headers, ported parts?

Yeah, at first I wanted a black TA but I saw the orange and I was hooked.

I'm looking at this one...

http://high-performance-engines.com/Mercha...oduct_Code=HP34

I haven't really thought about it too much, it needs a lot of work before I start mods, and right now, I don't have the space or money. This is going to be a track car so it'll defiantly get a lot of goodies, but I have to decide what goes best together.

• Founders

alot and i mean alot of work....do u want to do this project rust blows and the retards before u did a horrible job id look for all new wiring personally

I saw some cigarette butts in there too, not only rust but that and burns are a bitch!

Can we please nick-name your car the Rans Am?!?!?! :D:cheers:

A lot of rust but she still looks good!

:o I just might have to.

alot and i mean alot of work....do u want to do this project rust blows and the retards before u did a horrible job id look for all new wiring personally

I plan on getting new wiring, there are a lot of shops around here that work on some nice cars. The center console had a ton of burns next to where the ash tray was, so I had to get a new one, the carpet is gone and I will be getting "new" seats to replace the ones that are falling apart. It's not going to be easy, but it'll be worth it... I think I need to put my self up for Third Gen saint hood. :lol2:

replace the wheels to plz my uncle had those on his 86 iroc with a 355 and we hated them there ugly and hard to clean imo nothing against u

Not a big fan of the GTA rims, not that I hate them, but there is a plan to switch them out with these...

BoZyEOwWkKGrHqIOKjoEuZ1ft-voBLnTe4D.jpg

Only without those center caps

not a fan o those neither for the 3rd gens its hard to find awesome rims for it

The only thing I don't like is that they are 15 inches :cheers: the Vibe has 18 inches stock

She needs a lot of work but she also has tons of potential!

Good luck with her do the Tribe proud, the chief will be watching :cheers:

• Founders

The only thing I don't like is that they are 15 inches :o the Vibe has 18 inches stock

Different years, 15s are large for your year :lol2:

My '95 Monte Carlo came stock with 15s I think and my dad says that was a huge rim for that year, equivalent to having like 19s stock now :cheers:

:lol2: thats just how it was back then. My 81 Monty had 14s and I rocked them back in high school then I got some 15s and people were :cheers: .

:o

1970 Chevelle 14" so the Z28 rims I have for it look big at 15".

Did you get the wiring under the dash sorted out? Personally I am into replacing the harness vs repair. American Autowire is a nice source but I do not think that they have made them for the Gen III Camaros.