Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

FBIRD69's 1969 Firebird

2024 March
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

1997-2004 Pontiac Grand Prix Recall

• Founders

Seems GM is at it again and found an issue with 1997 - 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix on 3.8 L models. Oil can leak and cause a fire. Be careful FP Grand Prix members.

post-1-0-59629000-1445957188.jpg

The latest recall, mainly in North America, includes: the 1997-2004 Pontiac Grand Prix and Buick Regal; the 2000-2004 Chevrolet Impala; the 1998 and 1999 Chevrolet Lumina and Oldsmobile Intrigue; and the 1998-2004 Chevrolet Monte Carlo. All have 3.8-liter V6 engines.

Over time, a valve cover gasket can degrade, allowing oil to seep out. Under hard braking, oil drops can fall onto the exhaust manifold and catch fire. Flames can spread to a plastic spark plug wire channel and the rest of the engine.

GM hasn't come up with a final fix in the most recent recall, spokesman Alan Adler said. The company will use state registration databases in an effort to track down the owners, he said. The 1,300 fires were discovered when GM began investigating whether to recall some 2004 models, Adler said.

The recall is so large that it could have an impact on GM's fourth-quarter earnings, although Adler said that hasn't been determined.

"Since we have not decided on the remedy, we do not know whether the cost will result in a material charge to earnings," he said.

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

Ringo:

Thanks for sharing this recall notice. My 03 Grand Prix GT serial number is listed on the GM Canadian recall list. I no longer own this vehicle but will ensure that the dealer is made aware if it is still on his lot. I thought the 3.8 V6 was an invincible motor, and had no idea of this possible fire hazard to so many GM vehicles.

THIS ALL MAKES SO MUCH EFFING SENSE NOW!

My 07 Grand Prix caught on fire and I contacted GM about it. They basically told me they'll take the car and refund the full KBB value or fix it for free, but hinted to be hush-hush about it. Saying technically my GP didn't fall under the problem area, but was close enough. Now they come out with this recall about cars with engine fires on similar bodies to my GP? I don't believe in coincidences like that.

• Like 1

My 03 GP GT's serial # is on GM Canada's recall list. I don't own that GP now, but am in an 06 GP. Not exactly thrilled every time I crank that 3800 lately. My faith in the 3800 Series engines is waning.  This is my 5th GM with that engine.  Thanks for your remarks. 

• 5 months later...

I did not know the dealer would take my engine cover leaving no cover. My car was slow to start a couple of times. I took it to Autozone to check the battery. We noticed the cover was missing. He suggested I go back to the Dealer. The cover shows supercharged.  It is cosmetic. When I asked the dealer about the change the worker stated that it was part of the recall and the cover had to be returned to the manufacturer. When I mentioned another issue that I was having with my hose being wore down by my belt I was referred to go to Napa Auto or Autozone to get zip ties. When I asked for help to do something to get me safely home. Worker refused any assistance. I have mostly had bad experiences at service at the dealer. I called the manufacturer. They said they will send an email but I am not going back to the same one.

• Founders

Sorry to hear about your bad experience with the dealer. Definitely inform GM of it and they should let you know of another dealer in your area or attempt to make peace at it. Luckily, I've had nothing but good things to say about the dealers in my area.

I have had experiences when I was young by some dealers of "if you didn't buy it here, don't bring it for service" syndrome. Its not right by any means, but it does exist. Ringo is right, contact GM and let them know about it. Taking it do another authorized GM dealer is the next step.

The other thing I don't get is this: if GM has not come up with the permanent fix for this recall yet, what authorizes the dealer to remove and return your cover in the first place? I'd ask the service manager to see the dealer service bulletin or other GM instruction on that one. After all, it is your car and part, not the dealers or GM's.