Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

Im looking to do a gauge pillar but not sure what guages I want

Heres what im thinking

Help me pick

what 3 would you do? (please quote and add your pic)

A/F Ratio-Wanna get it tuned eventully and be able to watch

Oil Pressure- make sure theres pressure

Trans Temp- for hard driving/ track

Volts- sound system

Oil Temp- just to watch

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If your going to put in a big system a "Volts" one may be nice to have.

A/F Ratio -

Oil Pressure -

Trans Temp - X

Volts - X

Oil Temp - X

Help me pick

A/F Ratio

Oil Pressure x

Trans Temp x

Volts x

Oil Temp

these are the ones i would pick

• Founders

I'd say do something volts with your battery, one thing about older cars that I liked and hate now is they don't have a volt reader for the battery anymore on the cluster, even how inaccurate some were it was a good indication of help.

Trans temp - only if you have boost or doing really hard driving for a long period of time.

Oil temp is actually a good thing to know in my book.

If your not planning on getting the AIT or MPD hood maybe a engine bay temp gauge as well

I have crappy Glowshift gauges.

well they are not bad but i didnt have the money to pay for what i wanted... AutoMeter or AEM gauges

If i had it my way i would have

AEM UEGO Wideband

AEM Oil Pressure

AEM Trans Temp

not so worried about volts. you are not running a huge system so there is not going to be a huge draw.

and why would anyone want to monitor engine bay temp? if you have your eyes on the water temp what is the engine bay temp goign to help us learn?

Actually the only one I see as being useful for DD is the Oil press the other 2 are up to you... just my .02

think that would be more useful that volts, IMO

I've had a lot of gauges in my day, ask chris, and those are the ones i've found most useful. AEM gauges are nice but too much for such little purpose, unless you get the wideband.

• Founders

and why would anyone want to monitor engine bay temp? if you have your eyes on the water temp what is the engine bay temp goign to help us learn?

There's more in your engine bay that can be fried with high temps to be concerned with, nothing really necessary for you guys but me when its 98+ degrees 10 months out of the year I get concerned sitting at stop lights about things. Just me being paranoid but something I would have.

i totally understand your logic but in the even you noticed that it was up to 150* (sorry just a random number that sounds high) what would you do? pull over? how do you cool down ambient temp?

If i noticed that my oil pressure was super low i would check my level

If my trans temp was way high i would pull over and take a break

If my A/F ratio went super lean i could take it in to be retuned.

i guess i follow but i dont know diagnostically what the temp would help me determine...

the only accruate air/fuel gauge is a wide band. Most people get a narrowband that has nothing to do with their tune and the gauge is just a light show, IMO the most useless gauge made, would rather put a clock a-pillar gauge in the car than air/fuel.

All i ever said i would use is a wideband

The wideband does show A/F

Wideband_Output_Graph.jpg

Narrowband_Output_Graph.jpg

anyone who just puts up a narrowband a/f is essentialy a vacume gauges.

please read my posts talking about what gauges i would use.

oh ok i must have misread. but, yes wideband will show air/fuel and will show the tune that you have better than a narrow band.

reading > me

I'm gonna do wideband for sure

Autometer is what I looked at

last time and there's a dealer right by my house

Do an AEM wideband....they are like 200 but they are the best