Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

1967 Lemans 326 w/Th400

I'm finishing up a frame off restoration of a 1967 Lemans Convertible which has a year correct 326 w/ 4 barrel carb (New Edelbrock 1406), new distributor w/Pertronics Elec Ignition module, and backed up with a TH400 transmission.  Engine has been tuned, all vacuum leaks sealed, timing set a 12 degrees, and idle at 850 RPMs.  Engine is fine until I put the car in gear (Park or Drive).  The RPMs drop about 400-500 RPMs, then fluctuates between these numbers, and sometimes dies completely.

Any help/suggestions would approciated.

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

For an automatic trans I usually set the rpms at 1000-1100 that way in drive or reverse it will drop to about 750.  Then if I want to temp fate I will start going down by 50 until I run into the problem that you describe.

Thanks for the inputs.  I took it for a test drive today and noticed that ithe engine is running rough, not on all cylinders.  The carb was adjusted per instructions and is good at idle.   Doesn't seem to have any power.  I'm going to check compression on the cylinders.  Didn't do that before installing the engine, not the smartess think.

Agree with notallthere. Couple questions. Are you happy with how the car is running off idle, - wide open?  Really sounds like a vacume issue. You did say all vacume ports are plugged (thats not in use).  So did you vacume sink/adjust the carb to the highest vacume on the gauge? 

I missed the edelbrock 1406 part.  Is the choke wired up?  If it is not wired up get some power to it.  That should eliminate some of the stalling issue.

• 4 months later...
On ‎09‎/‎08‎/‎2015 at 5:57 PM, deredraider said:

Thanks for the inputs.  I took it for a test drive today and noticed that ithe engine is running rough, not on all cylinders.  The carb was adjusted per instructions and is good at idle.   Doesn't seem to have any power.  I'm going to check compression on the cylinders.  Didn't do that before installing the engine, not the smartess think.

Hey Dennis, just doing some catch-up reading here.  Did you ever get your car sorted out?

Bear