Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Michael Dalke's 1967 Firebird

2020 March
of the Month

• Welcome!

Welcome to Forever Pontiac, where we keep the memory of Pontiac alive with great discussion, maintenance tips, restoration/modification progression "blogs" and help from professional & DIY mechanics. Also, wonderful competitions that occur regularly. Please register for an absolutely free account to join in!

Sign in to follow this  
jacob.lapuglia

1999 pontiac grand am gt help

Question

I know a lot of the threads are about older pontiacs, but i have a 1999 pontiac grand am gt and its got quite a few mods and i was looking for advice on where i would be able to find a in car tuner or any tuner and if i need a chip too so i can get my car to how it should be running. Performance wise i just have a CAI and flowmaster/magnaflow custom exhaust. Any help will be aprreciated

Sent from my LG-H345 using Tapatalk

10 answers to this question

What are you looking to tune for? Just these mods? Bump up to a higher octane table? 

A "chip" will be worthless, don't buy one of those online. It may even ruin your car.

I was told with my intake and exhaust id have to buy a tuner to get the full benefits out of it

I was told with my intake and exhaust id have to buy a tuner to get the full benefits out of it

In my experience, I wouldn't say you need to but you can definitely take better advantage of both with a tune. Are there any plans to do anything else with the GA?

Where would i go about finding one? And just exterior really. Im trying to find the ram air hood they made for the grand ams with no luck

Some of the GA guys may know of any online tuner but where are you located? There may be one close to you that you can go to that someone can suggest.

I know a lot of the threads are about older pontiacs, but i have a 1999 pontiac grand am gt and its got quite a few mods and i was looking for advice on where i would be able to find a in car tuner or any tuner and if i need a chip too so i can get my car to how it should be running. Performance wise i just have a CAI and flowmaster/magnaflow custom exhaust. Any help will be aprreciated

With only a CAI and exhaust, you'll find that the cost of tuning won't really gain much in hp.  I think Milzy still tunes GA's but I'm not sure.  There's very little aftermarket left for these cars and not much hp gain without some major engine/trans work.  Visit GrandAmGT.com for more GA specific info and some sponsor links to the few guys who still offer parts/tuning for GA's.

You could buy HPTuners. It is an expensive piece of software, but it lets you make a lot of changes to your ECM calibration. It works for many, many GM models. I have found it indispensable and use it on all of my GM vehicles. You don't need to have modifications to benefit from a few changes to your tune.

Be forewarned, you should really look into how to tune your car before you start making changes. Lurk on the forums on hptuners.com for a while and learn as much as you can.

yes milzymotorsports.com is still open and still has lots of stuff for them.

a tune can always benefit. Revome restrictions tune for a higher octane will definitely help.

do the 2000s and the 1999s match up for the hood?

http://porthuron.craigslist.org/pts/5473424366.html