Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

new member 1931 Sport Sedan

Ok hey everyone. I know how everyone likes suspense, Well here's the update on the 31 and life. My wife started working full time and is very proud of her new big girl job. It's her first full time M-F job since we started our family. So now we can start putting money into savings....maybe I should name the car that "savings account" instead of "Pete" cause everything was for Pete's sake. Lol. So I have two complete leaf springs one front and one back. I brought those into our local spring shop and it's gonna be $400 a piece x4..... ouch. This month is also 3 paycheck month for me so that helps. Next later today I'm dropping off the gas tank to have that rebuilt. Then I'll be ordering the radiator. I know someone that is excited for that right Rebel. 

Springs will be done next week after the 4th of July then I can get the car level. Oh and I also need to get my front hub adapters ordered so I can get it all sitting on rubber. Then we will start on the steering and then I can order the driveshaft. And make it move.  So lots going on.

• Like 2

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

Yup need a different solution for the gas tank that guy water $3000 to build the gas tank. For 3grand I'll go to the votec and take advanced welding classes and build it myself.

IMG_20200702_165427826.jpg

• Haha 1

Cowboydanny, 

One option you might try is Rock Valley Antique Auto Parts. I have no experience with them, but they claim to have many patterns for vintage fuel tanks and can custom make them if needed.  No idea on price, but I have a hard time thinking it would be $3000.

Good Luck,   31pontiac 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I'm still looking for a radiator and ignition coil (without key). Do you still have yours?

John

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

So any tip or tricks for fitting that roof skin? 

My summer goals are to clean up one of my front grilles for rough in with the new radiator, finish installing the new leaf springs, shave down the interior seat cushions to get a better fit there adjust the front seat mounting brackets, and move the stock transmission cross member. 

Still need to figure out a plan for a steering box, get a set of front wheel adapters made, mounting brackets for the new disc brakes,  gas tank and drive shaft. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, cowboydanny said:

So any tip or tricks for fitting that roof skin? 

Dan, i recon any thing is worth a try ! ... that roof will fit justA as long as you have the tools to make it fit !

tig or mig, but i would suggest tig so you can manipulate the tac welds as you go. i also think you need access to a english wheel to move that new roof section around to fit the curves of your 31 !

i would certainly make a template first before you do any cutting so you have a pattern to work with, then justA reshape that roof section to the curves of the 31 ...

i use scribed profiles as well, so you have the shape of the roof to work with ,. basically cut cardboard out to fit from front to rear of the existing roof profile, and the same from left to right. 

good luck mate👍

and has anyone mentioned we love pics around here :cheers:

• Like 1

Well I know I that I need to get the outer edge off so it will sit flat. Left to right it will be perfect. The front corners are the only real concern i see right now, and some of that will be cut off.  An english wheel I do not have access to. But from what I've seen running a sheet thru this size would be tough. I would assume that typically one would cut a portion of the roof off reshape it then reweld it back together?

• Like 2