• Welcome!

Welcome to Forever Pontiac, full of great ideas for Pontiac performance, maintenance, or for peer-to-peer assistance from Professional and DIY mechanics. Also, compete in our Pontiac monthly competitions. Please register if you'd like to take part.

rickmpontiac    43

I've been thinking about replacing the dash pad in my 67 gto. The previous owner put one of those cheaper plastic covers in it. Doesn't look too bad, but I think heat has caused the right side to distort some. I have read in some restoration guides that there are 4 or 5 screws above the instrument panel, one just above and left of the glove box and another on the right end just above the glove box. Do any of you have some experience with this that you could share?  Thanks in advance.

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

Frosty    483

If your '67 is anything like my '72, it helps to remove everything else first, the instrument cluster, radio, heater/AC ducts/controls, glove box, etc. If you can remove the front seats and console, so much the better, but that is not entirely necessary, but it does make it easy to work on your back. All you want is a basic shell of the dash in order to get the mounting screws to release the pad from the the metal dash frame.

I would highly recommend getting a GM/Pontiac shop manual for your car with the assembly/dis assembly procedures and illustration.

66-7_gto_dash_parts.gif

• Like 1

rickmpontiac    43

Thanks Frosty, I just got a copy of the shop manuals for the car this past weekend, but the details were a little vague on the topic. I have read in other sources that removal of the glove box is a must to get to the two fasteners on that side.

Frosty    483

Thanks Frosty, I just got a copy of the shop manuals for the car this past weekend, but the details were a little vague on the topic. I have read in other sources that removal of the glove box is a must to get to the two fasteners on that side.

For my '72 Lemans, that was absolutely the case. I suspect that will be the same thing with you. Getting the radio, cluster and the rest makes access to all the other bolts a whole lot easier too. Also, it gives you a chance to look at things and detail them out. - especially any burned  or dim out bulbs in the cluster.

• Like 1

rickmpontiac    43

All very good suggestions Frosty, as I am still getting familiar with the overall condition of the car.

JUSTA6    281

There are 5 screws just under the DS leading edge of the pad. These can be removed with a stubby phillips screw driver.

Then on the PS there are studs that protrude through the dash. One at each corner of the passenger side compartment.

To access the stud/nuts at the left & right of glove box, the liner and ashtray have to be removed. Should not need to touch radio. 

Once all the screws and the 2 nuts are removed pull the pad forward while lifting and she should lift off.

Good Luck. 

Sprint knows........ Always good tips from Frosty too.

• Like 1

rickmpontiac    43

Thanks for the feedback very helpful.

rickmpontiac    43

It's time to replace it. Been putting this off for too long, but had to take care of a few other things that had priority. Do any of you have a suggested vendor for a replacement dash pad? I've looked at OPGI, Ames, NPD, Year One, etc. Planning to purchase one in the next 2-3 weeks so any feedback would be appreciated.

Frosty    483

Way to go Rick!  Love the xXx floor mats too. Nice touch.

Edited by Frosty
  • Like 1

JUSTA6    281

Lookin good.

• Like 1

Ringo64    306

Looks great!

Mharris22    0

Does anyone have instructions for installing the dash pad, can I install it with the cluster on or do I have to remove the cluster and then put the dash pad on? Any help is appreciated

SPRINT 6    78

The only part you will need to remove to install the PAD is the Glove Box Liner. You do not need to remove the gauge bezel.

Cheers 

Mharris22    0

Sprint6 thanks for the info, pretty new to working on these old classics. I took it apart about 8 months ago and the guy that had just had a bunch of screws holding it in, so are the screws that go through the bezel above the gauges for the dash pad as well or are they screwed in separate ?

SPRINT 6    78

Correct remove 4 screws under the forward upper edge of Pad  above the gauges. Then glove box removal will allow access to the 2 studs at the left and right side of the passenger side pad.  

67 PAD 3.jpg